What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Corrosion X Advice on a RV-8?

wilddog

Well Known Member
What are the areas on an -8 that would be difficult to apply Corrosion X too? I had planned to prime everything since I live in the humid South but am now thinking of just the mating surfaces and the non alclad parts that Van's recommends priming and using Corrosion X after completion and painting. But would still like to prime any area that would be impossible or difficult to reach with the treatment. I see on another thread estimates of complete priming adding 30% to the build time, I'm no spring chicken and want to get this airplane done. Thanks for any advice in this area.
Bill

DO NOT apply Corrosion X until AFTER the aircraft is painted. Corrosion X is a good product and is typically sprayed inside of the structure using a long spray wand. Corrosion X will weep from skin seams and structure for months after application making paint application very difficult. If you are planning on trating the inside of the structure with Corrosion X, ACF-50 or Boeshield, I would not worry about priming any mating surfaces as the corrosion preventive compound will penetrate these areas.

Back