What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

corrosion testing with Phillips XC and Anti Rust

vlittle

Well Known Member
I ran a controlled experiment with Phillips XC 20W50 and Phillips Anti Rust 20W50.

I used a piece of 4130 steel tube and sanded it to expose the raw steel. I put a blob of XC and a blob of Anti Rust on the tube and left it outside in the rain, fog and crappy northwest weather for the last 10 days (test begun Oct 6, 2014 and terminated Oct 16, 2014).

The results speak for themselves.

Phillips recommends up to 10% of your crankase oil can use the Anti Rust for seldom flown aircraft (i.e. Northwest winters).

Start of test, the oil blobs can be seen on the bare steel.

corrosion-1.JPG

Completion of test. The Anti-Rust blob is relatively clean.

corrosion-2.JPG

Cheers

OIL???

I'd love see the same test with XC,anti-rust,and the new super 2F,as well as XC+ Cam Guard as this is an oil you can fly with.Oil is confusing,As I get closer to assembling my engine. I'd like to run it in,store it,then fly it for 10-25 hours to brake it in.The pickling oils say 10 hours max?Whats a poor boy to do?
RHill

I'm running a new test with XC, Anti-rust, a 10% blend of AR with XC and ACF-50 as a control. Started raining again tonight so my test conditions are similar to last time.

I'm running a new test with XC, Anti-rust, a 10% blend of AR with XC and ACF-50 as a control. Started raining again tonight so my test conditions are similar to last time.

Why not put test strips inside your hangar? The outside environment isn't a match for our application - it'll never rain inside our engine cases.

Outdoor testing is Often Used in Industry

Vern is very much on track here. The important point is that all comparative samples be similarly exposed, at the same time.
Yes, the outdoor testing is likely more accelerated/severe than what you'd find inside the engine, but the point is to show differential corrosion. You won't know how long the metal in the engine will "hold up" without a rust inhibitor, but he's certainly showing that there's some benefit to use.
More structured corrosion testing is normally done in a salt spray cabinet under ASTM standards, but this seat of the pants testing is a useful tool.
Thanks Vern.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Vern is very much on track here. The important point is that all comparative samples be similarly exposed, at the same time.
Yes, the outdoor testing is likely more accelerated/severe than what you'd find inside the engine, but the point is to show differential corrosion. You won't know how long the metal in the engine will "hold up" without a rust inhibitor, but he's certainly showing that there's some benefit to use.
More structured corrosion testing is normally done in a salt spray cabinet under ASTM standards, but this seat of the pants testing is a useful tool.
Thanks Vern.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

I understand accelerated testing, but the test should be a reasonable representation of the environment you're trying to test. Outdoor and salt spray testing of items which spend their time outdoors makes sense. It doesn't make sense for us (IMO) because the parts we're trying to protect will never be subject to a large volume of water, which physically removes the residual oil film.

And some camguard too.........:)

Because I don't have any of these. My objective is to verify the claims of the Phillips 20w-50 Anti Rust oil that can be used as a flying oil up to 10 % concentration.

.... I have decided, however, not to post the results of the new test. It seems that no good deed goes unpunished.

Verns Oil test

I hope you change your mind,Oil is expensive and there seams to be as many opinions as there are choices.What works best in RVs is pertinent here. At $60 to $100 an oil change,it's well worth knowing where the best bang for the buck lies.Who better to do these tests then VFW members,and thank you Vern for your efforts. IMHO
RHill

Because I don't have any of these. My objective is to verify the claims of the Phillips 20w-50 Anti Rust oil that can be used as a flying oil up to 10 % concentration.

.... I have decided, however, not to post the results of the new test. It seems that no good deed goes unpunished.
Thanks for passing along the info!! Really - no qualifications, exceptions, or alternates.

I was going to post a pic of the gorgeous sunset I saw flying the other day. But was afraid I'd be tagged for unsafe flying while taking photos, or challenged as to whether or not it was actually sunset or sunrise for those in Australia......

I found this thread to be very interesting and informative Vern. Thanks for starting it. Unfortunately, like so many other forums, there are always people who will criticize and add nothing of value to it.

Vern,
I would really like to hear/see your results, even if you would share it with me in a personal e-mail. I do believe that it will contribute a lot and has great value. Like you, I do care what I put into the engine and the claims from the manufacturers. I wonder if we really know the moisture content inside our crankcases....under various engine activities/inactivity and ambient temperatures.
Thanks for what you are doing.
Johan

Guaranteed best way to prevent a rusty engine... are you ready... FLY MORE!

If I let my airplane sit for more than 2 weeks I consider it "airplane abuse" so I try never to let that happen :D

Fly regularly and change the oil often and will never have to worry about rust.

Back