What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Corrosion Protection for Door Hinges

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
What are people doing to help prevent corrosion of these bare metal door hinges we are given? I am concerned about too thick of a coating which would "lift" the hinges higher than how they were drilled/fitted initially. But I am also concerned with a thin primer only approach that could easily scratch off. What have people been doing - short of routing out and covering them, I am just wanting to protect the hinges and make them a "little" prettier to the eye.

Next time I think I'll Nickel plate them. Even an electro-brush plate would work, I think.

I just primed them and will paint them with my final color paint, except the bottom of the hinge. Lube on the hinge pin holes and hope it does not rust! Plating would have been a great idea.

Akzo

This is what I did. -Jim
2012-03-05_21-23-19_681.jpg

I just found a local metal finisher a few minutes away and they will have them finished for me tomorrow in nickel. $65 for the four hinges. Thanks for the idea/recommendation.

I didn't have the bolt/pin done though. Cause for concern with those being exposed?

Last edited:
I "blued" mine with metal blueing. Then primed and will paint.

I had mine powder coated 3 1/2 years ago and they are doing fine. However, I have to lube the bolt regularly to keep it from rusting.

Back