What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Corrosion proofing

scberry

I just got started on my wing kit. I have the LH Spar riveted per the plans. am just beginning to assemble the W-1207 Rear Spar and I am somewhat concerned about corrosion proofing of some of the parts such as the W-1207B doubler and some of the other parts, such as the A-1206 and A-1207 that are "fabricated". Is anybody (everybody) applying any kind of corrosion proofing to these or other parts of the RV-12? If so, what kind?

Steve Berry

I just got started on my wing kit. I have the LH Spar riveted per the plans. am just beginning to assemble the W-1207 Rear Spar and I am somewhat concerned about corrosion proofing of some of the parts such as the W-1207B doubler and some of the other parts, such as the A-1206 and A-1207 that are "fabricated". Is anybody (everybody) applying any kind of corrosion proofing to these or other parts of the RV-12? If so, what kind?

Steve Berry

Steve... There is a lot of opinion about what to prime. Vans recommends priming non alclad parts. So far I have only primed the exposed hinges (three per wing). The simple way would be to use a rattle can of self etching primer available at most auto part stores.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff,
My only concern about a part like the W-1207B Rear Spar Doubler is that it is clad on the faces but when you round the edges to deburr then the edges are bare aluminum and I am afraid they will corrode over time. Same with the W-1212A Flaperon Hinge Plates.

Your solution using the self eching primer sounds simple enough and I'll try it.
I just don't want to get into a full blown primer operation.

Steve

See my blog for what I am doing with respect to priming. Feel that priming the mating edges is more than enough living here in the midwest.

Back