What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Corrosion Proofing Door Hinges

RudiGreyling

Well Known Member
What are you guys doing to corrosion proof these ugly Vans door hinges. :p

I Initially though to powder coat them, but then it might get too thick.
Then I am thinking to Electro or Chemical plate them, but I have no experience or background and need advice...

What you guys doing? :confused:

Regards
Rudi

Last edited:
Rudi,

I did powdercoat mine and had no problem with thickness. However, in this humid Florida environment, I am noticing a bit of corrosion discoloration in the area. Not sure what I am going to do to deal with it.

Hinge Coverup

I didn't corrosion proof the hinges, but I did make a kit to cover them and increase the strength of the attachment. Go to airward.com and see it under the RV-10 Section.

Last edited by a moderator:
corrosion

Plating and then painting is good. Powdercoating is good. The biggest trick I see is in the pin. You will have to keep it oiled always, or. Maybe you can pull the pin and pack grease inside as you reassemble making sure all the surfaces around the pin are coated. finding something to keep the grease in and the maisture out is the trick. A felt washer between the moving parts would help keep the grease in but that gap is so small that it will be tough to find anything that will fit, maybe a plastic washer.

Be careful with any lubrication you use if all your parts are not painted yet, painting after lube is a pain.
Good Luck and happy flying.
Jackson

Back