What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Corrosion on longerons

mcencula

Well Known Member
Greetings,

A couple days ago I got the longerons down out of the ceiling trusses in my basement shop. I found some surface corrosion on them. The area where the corrosion happened is where they ran under an HVAC duct. Although I don't recall ever seeing this, the only thing I can think of is that some condensation formed on the duct and dripped down onto the longerons. Anyway, it seems relatively easy to polish off with scotchbrite, so I'm thinking they'll be fine, but wanted some additional opinions.

Here are the longerons before polishing:
20080218-03-tn.jpg

Here they are after polishing with scotchbrite towards the bottom of the frame:
20080218-04-tn.jpg

Any feedback would be appreciated.

looking good

After a good scuffing and further solvent cleaning I would prime them to make sure that no air can get to the surface and further corrode them. My experience is that corrosion is like cancer. Unless you get it all, it comes back so prime is a must. Should be fine after that!

Alumiprep and some scrubbing with scotch-brite pads should do the trick to remove it. No biggie as long as they aren't pitted.

Thanks

Thanks Andrew and Jamie. It took a few days but Van's finally responded and said the same thing. I'll be sure to clean those angles well and prime before riveting it all together.

Back