What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Correct Torquing Procedure (Bolt to Platenut)

MartySantic

Well Known Member
It has been so cold today, I decided to educate myself on the accepted torquing procedure. Completed the vertical stabilizer a day ago and the upper hinge bracket is attached to the spar/platenut (K1000-3) using an AN3 bolt and washers.

I have read a number of the posts on VAF, have read Section 5.0 in the plans (which specify a bolt/nut combination) and have read Section 7.0 of AC 43.13 (Acceptable Methods). Also have looked at the Standard Aircraft Handbook.

I understand the necessity of measuring the drag torque but all of the tables that I see specify a bolt/MS20364 or MS20365 nut combination and not a bolt/platenut combination.

Being a bit picky here, only trying to educate myself. I am not intending to start a war!

Anyone have a reference or know of the "approved/accepted" methodology.

Last edited:
please post up what you do, I just got to that exact point yesterday, till I know for sure am just going to put them on finger tight to keep the hinges from getting misplaced.

Was hoping Mel would respond as he has answered a number of questions with regard to torquing components.

I understand the necessity of measuring the drag torque but all of the tables that I see specify a bolt/MS20364 or MS20365 nut combination and not a bolt/platenut combination.

The same methodology should be used on a bolt/platenut as on a bolt/nut. First measure the "drag" of the combination and add this to the torque.

Mel,

Thanks........ Should I follow the bolt/MS20364 nut or bolt/MS20365 nut combination as listed on the table when torquing to the platenut???

An interesting specification...

Mel,

Thanks........ Should I follow the bolt/MS20364 nut or bolt/MS20365 nut combination as listed on the table when torquing to the platenut???

...question, and I did find a answer in an old (1976) FAA document AC 65-9A - A & P Mechanics General Handbook.

Page 14 of this section....

link to a long FAA url

They place a standard MS20365 (not the thin shear nuts) with the same torque requirements as threaded machined parts. I think placing a platenut in the "threaded machined part" category would be quite reasonable.

This was the closest "approved" description I could find in any of my reference sources.

My thanks to all. There most certainly is a wealth of information available via this forum. And I initially thought that this question was too "simpleton" to ask!!

Back