What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Correct Hardware for Adel Clamps

rwtalbot

Well Known Member
Ok,

This should be obvious but it isn't to me... and the FF instructions do not seem to call it out. What is the correct hardware for attaching two Adel clamps together as per the FF installation.

AC43.13 refers to a MS 27039 screw, AN 960 washer and MS21044 lock nut. The question is what diameter and where are they in the kit?

I have seen Van call out #8 hardware and nutplates (static vents in fuse), #10 hardware (Oil pressure hose). What is correct or does it not matter that much?

Thanks
Richard

RV7A - Finishing

..... What is the correct hardware for attaching two Adel clamps together as per the FF installation.....
Richard,

When used with Adel clamps, it does not matter much. Van's normally calls out screws but I suspect that is because a screw is cheaper (and lighter) than an AN3 bolt. I use bolts for a couple of reasons. The hole in the Adel clamp readily accepts a bolt. It is easier to attach bolts to a clamp because you can use a wrenches and/or sockets and finally, the deal closer for me is that bolts are routinely used with adel clamps installed in military aircraft. :)

Talk about cheap. Recently I was confused when I could not identify a couple of pieces of steel strap included with the FWF kit. I found out right here that those straps are used as clamps with 2" scat tube. Thanks, but no thanks. http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=23025

When seeking a particular item of hardware, refer to your hardware bag list as it contains an itemized listing of all the parts included in each of the numbered hardware bags.

Adels

AN3 is the best choice IMHO. Don't forget to use all metal locknuts on the firewall forward. My Inspector buddy gave me a hard time for using a couple of elasics up there.

Regards...Chris

AN3 hardware with metal locking nuts is the norm. I found some stainless cap screws with an Allen heads on them that I think are easier to use. You can stick them on the end of an Allen wrench and push them in to hold the two clamps together while you fumble to get the nut and washer on.

An anything firewall forward, I use stainless bolts, stainless washers, and stainless locking nuts. It's a little overkill I admit, but I like the look better.

Little trick..

There is a little trick a lot of us in the airline maintenance industry use when it comes to closing up adel clamps; Get the clamp into position or close to it. Then take a small loop of safety wire and with the bolt (an3 BTW) installed run the safety wire tight with your safety wire pliers between the bolt and the loop of the clamp. This holds the clamp closed while you get the nuts and washers and other clamps positioned.

just a FWIW gee whiz type thing

Thanks Everyone, AN3 hardware it is. I admit I was leaning that way but a combination of Vans' different methods and no clear recommendations elsewhere had me a bit confused.

Richard

Back