What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Corner baggage rib questions...

alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
Can't find references to these tasks in the manual:

1. When do the corner baggage ribs get drilled to the side skins and riveted to the bottom skin?

2. Since the center bottom skin overlaps the conical bend on the aft portion of the fwd side skins, how is the baggage rib to sit flush on the bottom skin between the bulkheads? Is it not supposed to or will something be serving as a shim under the fwd portion of the corner rib?

Thanks.

1) You drill them to the side skins when you fit and drill the rest of the side skins. I riveted mine on while riveting the sideskins.

2)I don't know about the 9 but the 7 instructions and plans are kind of weak in this area. The rib sits flat on the bottom of the bottom center section skin. It butts up against the flanges of the bulkheads fore and aft of the rib. The attach strips hold it to the flanges of the bulkhead. The rib comes prestamped with a joggle on the end that can be confusing. I ended up trimming the rib so it just butts up to the bulkhead flanges. The aft length is tricky to figure out, however if you look at the aft end of the baggage ribs you can get a good estimate of how long to cut it. I just riveted this area together today and it came out just fine.

Thanks for the help Bruce--
I do understand the attach clips, and thanks for the timeline. I'm still not clear on how the corner rib could sit flush on the bottom skin. In the pic below do I have the layers in the correct order? If so, how does the corner rib sit flat on the bottom skin without having to overlap the conical bend of the side skin? The only way it could sit flat or flush is if the side skin sat outside the bottom skin, but the drawings seems to say it doesn't. Is this making sense?

Last edited:
Steve,

Just did this on my 7, and yes your picture looks right, the skins are in the right sequence. Yes it makes sense, and no there are no shim under the corner rib in my rv7. The one side of the rib will sit on the rige of the conical bend. I did not give it much thought though, check with vans and report back. I'd like to know what they say as well.

Kind Regards
Rudi

Back