What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Copperstate fly in

Just coming back to France from Copperstate fly in Arizona.
I have been there for a few days to be at this very nice event, see some Van's aircrafts, meet people and flying for a few hours in the desert in a rental C172 from Chandler.

AA1.jpg

You can see all my pictures here :
http://picasaweb.google.fr/philippe.cordier9/ArizonaCopperstateFlyInOct10

Friendly, Philippe from France.
http://philipperv9a.typepad.fr

Nice, thanks for sharing. Next time let us know your coming in advance and us locals will buy you some good Mexican food! Glenn

Oregon to Copperstate IFR

DSC_3865.JPG

Leaving Portland Oregon just before the TFR for the President begins and headed for Carson City NV

IMG_0547.JPG

Carson City to Kingman, AZ - Weather between the two.

Flightaware.jpg

IMC before Las Vegas and ATC decides to vector me "for weather" the new heading looks worse on my XM weather and I ask them to double check. ATC then tells me that they show it will be better, it ended up being just like my XM weather showed...

DSC_3880.JPG

Over Las Vegas at 17,000ft and back in the clear.

IMG_0548.JPG

164Kts TAS at 17,000ft Once again I prove that the heat in the RV-10 works great!

DSC_3887.JPG

Next stop Kingman Az to visit one of our dealers and see a lot of parked airliners.

IMG_0549.JPG

Yes that is a 12" tile in the picture and this was walking down the hall in the office. Apparently this time of year the critters like to move inside.

DSC_3888.JPG

Almost to Copperstate...

DSC_3898.JPG

The weather in Arizona this time of year is awesome.

DSC_3908.JPG

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10

Copperstate to Portland

The weather back home in Oregon was forecast to get really bad with low freezing levels and very high winds on Sunday through Tuesday so I decide to leave at 12 on Saturday and get back home before the bad weather arrived. The weather started to get bad just north of Las Vegas and after stopping in Reno for fuel and checking the weather between Reno and Portland I decide to spend the night. The next morning I awoke to wind gusts of 45kts and a forecast for them to increase to 75kts at Reno, low freezing levels and rain. I decide to give up and fly home on Southwest Airlines, the winds on the flight home were 180kts with a 100kts head wind component. On Wednesday the weather decided to cooperate and I got on a 6:00am flight to Reno and arrived just as the sun was rising.

IMG_0561.JPG

It was a clear morning with a temperature of 29 degrees when I arrived to find the plane covered in frost.

IMG_0562.JPG

IMG_0568.JPG

IMG_0570.JPG

IMG_0573.JPG

IMG_0578.JPG

IMG_0587.JPG

Crater Lake

IMG_0604.JPG

IMG_0605.JPG

IMG_0607.JPG

I left home on Wednesday morning at 4:30am to catch the 6:00am flight to Reno and landed back home in the RV-10 at 11:00am

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10

Last edited:
Looks like XM weather is better than ever. I love reading about your travels, and the great pictures, Rob. Thanks for posting them! Please keep them coming!

Beautiful slide show!

Especially #48 and #88. (My Bird!) It was a better than average show IMHO. A much better variety than usual. And as Glenn says, give us a heads up next time for some great Mex grub!

I like picture number -

Especially #48 and #88. (My Bird!) It was a better than average show IMHO. A much better variety than usual. And as Glenn says, give us a heads up next time for some great Mex grub!

- # 117 in the original set, and I even took a similar one myself from the other side...:)

reflection.jpg

It was the most polished P-51 I have seen.

UPDATE - the above pic really needs a shot of the entire plane...:)

polish-1.jpg

Last edited:
Back