What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Copper Crush Washer On Oil Pickup Screen

RFazio

Well Known Member
I wanted to order a few copper crush washers for the oil pickup screen on my Lycoming sump. I got what they told me was the replacement part for what I had. The part number is MS35769-21. the -21 denotes the inside diameter of 1" which is correct. But my oil screen pickup has a hard flat copper washer on it. The part they sent me is a round copper case with fiber material in it. It's meant to be crushed but is that ok to use on the pickup screen? I'm hoping someone has experience with this.

Related question (sort of): The torque value for that bolt and gasket as I recall was something like "finger tight plus 135 degrees." I get a fair leak out of that spot at finger tight plus 135 degrees. so what are my options here. Tighten it more and violate the torque guidelines or just accept an oil drip there?

Also, I can never remember the rule of thumb for crush gaskets. Does the seam part face TOWARD the engine or AWAY from the engine?

Last edited:
Split side goes to case and I tighten them a little bit more than the +135 degrees. Something like 20-25 FTLB, whatever feels good and tight.

The trouble is ... if you tighten too much (more than the desired crush) the leak will leak more.

If it's only a drip, it might be worth trying a light application of fuel lube on the washer.

Dan

Related question (sort of): The torque value for that bolt and gasket as I recall was something like "finger tight plus 135 degrees." I get a fair leak out of that spot at finger tight plus 135 degrees. so what are my options here. Tighten it more and violate the torque guidelines or just accept an oil drip there?

Also, I can never remember the rule of thumb for crush gaskets. Does the seam part face TOWARD the engine or AWAY from the engine?

Use this as a reference -

lycoming-torques_zpsd981c236.jpg

Back