What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cooly hat uses?

miyu1975

Well Known Member
At oshkosh I bought 2 Tosten grips with the cooly hats. Typically the cooly hat is used for aileron and elevator trim. I have manual trim for both. I only bought these grips with the cooly hats cuz I got a good deal on them so I figured why not. Anyone have any other ideas as to what I can use them for? I thought maybe I can hook the up/down to the flaps (pilot side only)...any thought on this?

I have the same grips, and am using the following.

Coolie hat----elevator and rudder trim.

Big trigger on rear----PTT.

Little button on rear----auto pilot disconnect.

Left top button ------ ident.

Right top button------unused. I wanted to do radio flip/flop, but the SL 40 wont do that externally.

At oshkosh I bought 2 Tosten grips with the cooly hats. Typically the cooly hat is used for aileron and elevator trim. I have manual trim for both. I only bought these grips with the cooly hats cuz I got a good deal on them so I figured why not. Anyone have any other ideas as to what I can use them for? I thought maybe I can hook the up/down to the flaps (pilot side only)...any thought on this?

If you use the up/down for the flaps I wouldn't use the left/right for anything. It'd be too easy to inadvertently move the flaps. See this thread http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?p=462099.

Otherwise you could put the com flip/flop on one side and the com channel select on the other side. AP disconnect is a good to have on the stick somewhere too. I wish that I could scroll my GPS cursor with a cooly hat switch but I couldn't figure out how to do that one without hacking the GPS.

Early days yet in my planning but page change on the glass panels is what I have in mind for the Hat switch.

Up/Down to move the left screen pages. Left/Right to move the right screen pages.

I've gone for manual trim and flap switch on panel. Will use other stick buttons for PTT and AP CWS.

Same grip.
I use the coolie hat for radio control.
--- Up-down for cycling through the memories
--- left-right to toggle between two shown freqs. (ICOM radio).
Trigger = PPT.
Little button below trigger = Auto pilot disengage.
Other buttons are currently not used.

Back