What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cooling the EarthX 680 Necessary?

rockitdoc

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I have seen references to cooling the EarthX batteries and see that a 'special' battery box with insulation and cooling tube option is offered by EarthX. I may go this route, but installing a new battery box would be problematic since my battery box which housed my PC680 Odyssey is already riveted to the firewall. If absolutely necessary, I'll deconstruct my old box and install the EarthX box, but, if not necessary, it would save a lot of extra work. Maybe just direct outside air to the battery somehow? Louvers on the lower cowl or a scoop? Anybody have experience with the EarthX?

I installed the insulated box that they sell and also have a blast tube from the rear baffle.
EarthX claims a reduction in battery temperature with their box, I can’t confirm as I never measured temps there and never had the battery without the box.
I block the blast tube in winter when the temps drop below freezing.
Have not seen any issues.

EarthX says the max temp for the battery is 150 degrees. Mine is a 680C in the lightweight box, so there's a big cutout on the front of the box for weight savings and that exposes the plastic front of the battery.

I stuck a temperature strip on the front of the battery and based on which dots turned black it appears the max temp it sees sometime after shutdown is about 150 so I haven't done anything special to protect it.

Do the blast tube thing from the aft baffle. Easy insurance, piece of mind. I just don’t think you need to change out your battery box.
I LOVE EarthX batteries.

I have seen references to cooling the EarthX batteries and see that a 'special' battery box with insulation and cooling tube option is offered by EarthX. I may go this route, but installing a new battery box would be problematic since my battery box which housed my PC680 Odyssey is already riveted to the firewall. If absolutely necessary, I'll deconstruct my old box and install the EarthX box, but, if not necessary, it would save a lot of extra work. Maybe just direct outside air to the battery somehow? Louvers on the lower cowl or a scoop? Anybody have experience with the EarthX?
I have an earth-X mounted on the firewall of my RV-10. I had the battery hi temp light warning a few times. I added a shroud around the sides and top hooked to a small blast tube from the back baffle. This keeps the battery bathed in cooling air now. No warnings since:)….If you pm me your email I can send pictures.

Attachments

• Batt4.jpg
    Batt4.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 27
  • Batt3.jpg
    Batt3.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Batt5.jpg
    Batt5.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 25
  • Batt7.jpg
    Batt7.jpg
    482.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Batt6.jpg
    Batt6.jpg
    377.2 KB · Views: 30
I ran into this today. EarthX has added more technical details. Battery temp will be fine as long as you mount them higher FWF. I made the mistake of mounting my second battery low. I have washer type thermocouples mounted halfway down the front and the lower battery consistently runs 30 deg hotter than the top battery on climb out. I have asked the engineers at EarthX the effect of routinely doing this and I was assured not a safety issue just hurts long term longevity. I test the residual ampacity annually and recently replaced my top battery once it dropped below 80%. It lasted over 4 years.

Note the comments recommending the use of hundred series batteries for starter batteries in aircraft.

BTW 85 C is 185 F.

Attachments

• ETX_Manual_111017_AC.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • Earthx-2.jpg
    Earthx-2.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 5
  • EarthX-1.jpg
    EarthX-1.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 6
  • EarthX.jpg
    EarthX.jpg