What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cooling Duct query

dinowal

Today I managed to get the cooling duct fitted & clecoed in the cowl bottom, but it is VERY close to the tappet cover on cylinder #4, less than1/8" in one spot. I don't know how far the engine moves on it's mount, but it would not have to go far to foul & perhaps wear away the duct. Should I worry?, - has anyone had a similar situation? Thanks for any thoughts, ....Cheers, DEAN..

Today I managed to get the cooling duct fitted & clecoed in the cowl bottom, but it is VERY close to the tappet cover on cylinder #4, less than1/8" in one spot. I don't know how far the engine moves on it's mount, but it would not have to go far to foul & perhaps wear away the duct. Should I worry?, - has anyone had a similar situation? Thanks for any thoughts, ....Cheers, DEAN..

Many of us have had a similar problem. The common solution is to cut a hole in the duct in the interfering region and glass a dimple into the area to give a more "comfortable" clearance. I'll let others define "comfortable for them. Mine comfort level was probably > 3/8".

thanks..

Thanks for your prompt replies, gents - it is somewhat reassuring to know that others have had the same problem! As I have not glassed in the duct yet I think I will go ahead & make a " blister" to give more clearance, - it will give me another thing NOT to worry about when engine is started.. Cheers, DEAN..

Don't make the mistake I did. I clecoed the duct and glassed it without putting it back on the fuselage thinking the clenches would keep everything in place. It shifted just enough to not fit and I ended up having to redo it.

Thanks

Thanks for that warning, - I have successfully made 'blisters' & given more room for cylinder heads 2 & 4. I Will be sure to reinstall cowls after fibreglassing while resin hardens... Cheers, DEAN...

Back