What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cooling air from Garmin 430

My 430 gets very warm in hot weather. The tray has a connection for cooling air. I have saw some installations install a cooling air fan. Is there any reason to not use ram air from the top of the engine ? Plenty enough air out there. How do most folks deal with this ?
Thanks
Charlie

My 430 gets very warm in hot weather. The tray has a connection for cooling air. I have saw some installations install a cooling air fan. Is there any reason to not use ram air from the top of the engine ? Plenty enough air out there. How do most folks deal with this ?
Thanks
Charlie
It seems like a bad idea to introduce a direct communication path between the area forward of the firewall and the cabin. Like, really bad.

Ice Box FN-200 is one. Cheep...cheep.... I powered it up on the bench ( made to cool three radios ) but the flow rate of air is
kinda weak. Might be OK for a single 430 though.

a cheap and simple 120mm 12v cooling fan, some simple fiberglass layup (or some fancy 3d printer work for the guys here that love that stuff) and you all set

Back