What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Converting from Dynon to Garmin Servo & Pitot after Wings Complete?

dmat

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Hi all,

I purchased a fully completed wing set with Dynon parts in it. I prefer and have a garmin g3x setup sitting and would like to convert the servo and pitot tube.

How big of a job is this?

And another question, the dynon pitot tube isnt screwed into the mast. I recallwhen I upgraded by 6a to a full garmin g3x, I used set screws to attach the pitot to the mast. Are dynon masts press fitted?

Thanks,
D

The servo is a bolt on item and it can easily be replaced. You might need to get a different sets of bracket from VANS as I am not sure if the same set of brackets are used for both Garmin and Dynon.
As for the Pitot tube and mast goes, it may have to do as which mast you are using. I have had both Dynon and Garmin heated pitot and both had four small screws on the side of the pitot that was used to attach it to the mast.

Good luck.

Call Steinair but my understanding is the bracket bolt patterns are the same for Dynan, Garmin and Trutrak.

steinair wasn't helpful. They pointed to Vans. Will give them a call. But it looks as if I definitely need to replace the dynon sero wiring harnesses with garmin harnesses.

D

Does the wing have the Vans WH-00013 AP Servo Harness? If so, you should just need to get the WH-00119. Which you can get from Stein. Real surprised they weren’t more helpful. They’ve been great with me. Last call to Steinair was over 35 minutes...for an $80.00 sale. The pitot is just pos and neg, if it isn’t regulated, and isn’t included with the kit from Vans. If the wires are already there, hopefully twisted, then you should be good to go.
4268FBB7-029F-4EC8-B0FF-86AA8A85FA8A.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all,

I purchased a fully completed wing set with Dynon parts in it. I prefer and have a garmin g3x setup sitting and would like to convert the servo and pitot tube.

How big of a job is this?

And another question, the dynon pitot tube isnt screwed into the mast. I recallwhen I upgraded by 6a to a full garmin g3x, I used set screws to attach the pitot to the mast. Are dynon masts press fitted?

Thanks,
D

The Dynon & Garmin brackets are virtually the same, you might have to do minor grinding to fit the servo (or was it for TruTrak..) The harness will be a bit different, best to confirm with your system install manual.

Dynon & Garmin heated pitot systems both mount the same. & if I remember correctly look identical.

I am pretty sure the Dynon and Garmin pitot tubes fit the same mast. IIRC you have to drill and tap mounting holes in the mast. Once drilled, I do not know if the Dynon and Garmin are still interchangeable, or not.
If you plan on IFR, I recommend the heated version of the pitot, since the efis uses this data to help fine tune the attitude solution. I believe the heated Garmin tube is available with or without a temperature controller (Dynon has only one heated option, with a controller). I recommend the controller. If you have ever left the pitot heat (no regulator) on while you landed, then stepped out and touched the pitot tube, the burn scars on your hand will always remind you why I make this recommendation!

Back