What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Converted to Alodine

WingedFrog

Well Known Member
After mulling miscellaneous priming options, including following VANS recommendation to treat only non Alclad parts, I finally decided to go with Alodine and nothing else. This is very convenient, I took a lot of 20 parts this morning to a Metal Finishing shop and I was done by noon for $50 (I could have had more parts for the same price as the rate is by lot, i.e., whatever fits in the basket). Only downside so far, I have to drive 50 miles to the shop. During the one hour drive back, I was mulling the idea to substitute the paint job of the outside skins with an alodine treatment :cool:. Flying a golden plane with no extra paint weight and little extra cost appeals to me but I am sure some of the experienced builders in this forum, will bring my sanity back...:eek:

This is a interesting idea. Can't wait to see what those who know will say. You would have to get your rivets done too. Maybe just ad a vinyl graphic and your done. Remember steel parts would still have to be painted though.

From what I have seen the golden color is not very uniform over a large area, but if you don't like it you are ready for paint! :D

Go for it!

From what I have seen the golden color is not very uniform over a large area, but if you don't like it you are ready for paint! :D

Go for it!

My thought exactly. It always looks splotchy, but if you are able to quickly dip the parts in a tank instead of spraying it on, maybe it would look uniform.

Maybe you could call the plane "Gold Finger"?

Okay, I just dated myself. No one else could know what "Gold Finger" represents but me.

but if you don't like it you are ready for paint!

are you ever! Alodine is great adhesive and most likely would require little or no prep to "bond" with your paint if you changed your mind.

Maybe you could call the plane "Gold Finger"?

Okay, I just dated myself. No one else could know what "Gold Finger" represents but me.

Larry, this is the RV-12 forum, most of us know who Goldfinger was :rolleyes:

Tony

Back