What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Convert to Slider?

blkfin

I'm New Here
Greetings

We are looking at a completed RV-6A with tipup canopy. We would like a Slider. Can it be converted?

Thanks

Jim

Not by any practical means!

There are some basic internal structure differences.
BTW, IMHO, after flying the tip-up for a while, you won't want to change anyway.

Oh Mel...what're ya talking all crazy for? Everyone knows the slider/Tailwheel/all primered/FP prop is better! :)

Anyway, changing from a TU to Slider is NO trivial task. Everything forward of the spar bulkhead and above the upper longerons is different. Also, the canopy deck rails are different, as is the rear turtle deck skin. The forward deck rails / canopy attach ribs are riveted to the F-604 (spar) bulkhead and need to be changed. The rollover bar structure attaches to a rib (one of 3) that are riveted to the firewall in a slider (missing from a TU).

So, in the end I wouldn't even consider it. If you want a slider then buy a slider. Otherwise stick with the TU. BTW, if you're in the market for a good Slider taildragger -6, I might be selling mine!

Cheers,
Stein.

There are some basic internal structure differences.
BTW, IMHO, after flying the tip-up for a while, you won't want to change anyway.

I agree with Mel. If you are concerned about the wind and a tip up I have found that this has never been an issue in my two years in a tip up. The ventilation while taxiing is excellent with the tip up safety latch positioned to hold it partially open on the roll bar. IMHO you may want to fly in both types to see if the visual picture is better for you in one or the other. My wife is claustrophobic in the slider and does the tip up nicely. Working on the instruments is a bit easier on the tip up too.
It is all personal preference though so I realize both are good. The seats get wet getting in and out of either one when it is raining. :)

Back