What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Control surface throws?

arunnells

Well Known Member
Hello fellow RV-3 ers, could you tell me what the control throws/travel are for the control surfaces on the RV-3? My mechanic wants to check them to finish off my annual please and thx

Last edited:
Elev: Up 25-30, Down 20-25
Ailn: Up 25-32 Down 15-17
Rudder: 30-35
Flaps: 40-45
Trim: 25-35
Van's Build Manual

Personally, doubt anyone will get too fussed if they fall a bit outside those... I'd be more interested in the controls being smooth, no binding / interference and limit on correct stops.

I agree with Andy's numbers except for the flap travel - I don't think you'll get 40 degrees without the top leading edge popping out. I think we got about 39, and that is all I was comfortable with. There will be variation due to how the flap hinge is mounted to even out the trailing edge with the aileron. When we rigged ours, I checked with several sources (including the factory), and everyone figured that anything more than 35 degrees was gravy.

Hi Paul

Thanks for that.

I agree with Andy's numbers except for the flap travel
I caveated my post with "Vans Build Manual" and then the next comment for exactly as you describe ;)

We were fairly keen on getting the numbers with the RV-8, albeit our inspector did not seem too fussed :) With the RV-3 they will be what they will be - pretty sure as you say, Flap had a smaller practical limit. Anything beyond 30 I guess is fine, if you want more drag get a wobbly prop :D

Back