What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Control stick length

bob888

Well Known Member
What is the optimal length of the control sticks from top of grip to bottom (linear length)? I have Tosten grips that sit on top of the control stick and seems way too long. I assume I need to cut down but how much? A related question is how to bring the wires down. Can they come out the bottom or do I need a hole close to the bottom (threading through rather than outside)?
Thanks for any advice.

With the Tosten grips, you virtually have to cut down the stick, lest the grip end up under your chin. ;) The right lenght depends on what's comfortable for you. The only good way to measure is after you have your seat cushions and can actually sit in the plane and see what grip position feels right.
The wires can either come out the bottom, or out through a grommet in the side of the stick, depending on your wiring approach and/or preference.

Depending on what you do with the panel, your limiting issue will most likely be stick clearance on the bottom of the panel.

I know for Infinity grips I had to cut the sticks so the grip was as low as it could go to get enough clearance. The final height works quite well.

Carl

I have the Tosten grips and cut the top of the control sticks down almost to the weld. They still will not clear the bottom of the panel but the good thing is you will never put the -10 in a dive that steep. Don't start bending the sticks or cutting the bottom of the stick shorter in an attempt to make it clear the panel. I foolishly cut the sticks down at the bottom a couple inches but then found out after everything was installed and rigged that I could not get the full aft travel needed and had to re-weld the tubes.

The ten should rig up to where full forward stops just before the panel. You don't want to try to clear under. Sometimes you have to bend the sticks by shrinking the curve, Tosten grips tilt forward. Wires can run inside the stick if you drill a hole at the base of the straight part.

Back