What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Control Stick Leather Stitched Covers

rvanstory

Well Known Member
I posted some pics in an older thread about covering my control sticks in leather stitched covers. I have received a few PM's with question on how this was done, so, thought I'd post more details here for those who want to copy.

Step 1: Drill a hole large enough to allow stick grip wires to pass inside the tube.

IMG_0793 (1).jpeg

Step 2: Obtain supplies. You will need:
a) thick "boot or belt leather" (approx. 1/8" to 3/32" thick)
b) Heavy thread in color of choice
c) Leather needles Link to leather needles
d) leather hole punch Hole Punch

Step 3: Make paper pattern for curvature of top portion of control stick. This took several iterations to get just right with paper. The width of the leather pieces need to be 1/4" smaller than the diameter of the control stick. This allows for the stretching that will happen when stitching.

Step 4: Mark and punch the holes for thread. Spacing is approx. 3/16" to 1/4", depending on how tight a stitch you want. Again, cut all leather 1/4" smaller in width than diameter to allow for stretching.

IMG_2356.jpeg

Step 5: Cut thread long enough for all the stitches. If I remember right, I needed about 3 times length of leather??? I also quadrupled the thread for a thicker look. You might be able to just find a thicker thread than I had.

Step 6: Stitch and make sure you follow same pattern of overlap each time.

IMG_2357.jpeg

Step 7: Glue tip of top of leather inside the control tube opening.

Step 8: Admire your work.

IMG_2362.jpeg

IMG_2841.jpeg

Hope this helps anyone else wanting to cover their sticks like this. There was a small learning curve to get it right (or good enough), but it really wasn't that hard.

Attachments

• IMG_2358.jpeg
    IMG_2358.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 35
Nice covers, do the Tosten grips hit the panel?
They do not. I had to bend the sticks slightly and used Tostens offset bushing to keep that from happening. But, nothing hits at full down left or right. All clear for wind gust before gust lock get's put on.

Back