What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

control stick angle with neutral elevators

RudiGreyling

Well Known Member
Hi Guys,

Last night I rigged the elevators push rods and connected them to the elevators and control stick. The lengths of the push rods are as per Van's plans.

It looks to me that my stick is significantly angled forward with neutral elevators and neutral bell crank. Is this normal? Mine looks even more than the drawing below.

What angles do you guys get?

I don't have an RV7 close by to verify, so anyone that can help would be appreciated.

control_stick.gif

Kind Regards
Rudi

Vertical

Hi Rudy,
We have a 6A but internally, they're close to each other. If you don't have the instrument panel in place, place it or a mockup of cardboard there and be sure that the stick clears the underside if it goes that far forward.

We adjusted our pushrods to give a vertical stick at neutral elevator and it's a very comfortable inflight position. I don't think you want it leaning forward but then again, sitting in it, if you can, find the position that you like.......it's your call,
Regards,
Pierre

Most people I've found want the stick as far forward as possible. I adjusted mine so that with full down elevator, the stick just clears the spar.

vertical stick

if you make the stick vertical there is not enough of the threaded rod in the tube end(smaller tube)..if you are going to do that get longer rod end bearings or cut the tube longer. yes the stick is suppose to be forward and the bellcrank nuetral. use a socket wraped with tape to get a perfect nuetral on you bellcrank. if the bellcrank is not nuetral then the rate of deflection is changed.

Last edited:
Adjustment

Hey Rudi,

The key to get the geometery right, make sure the bellcrank is vertical, then adjust from there.

When you have things "about" where they should be, get in with a seat and get the stick cut to approximately the lengthl Now adjust the pushrod for the appropriate fore/aft placement. Centering over the spar is about right.

RV7Guy said:
Hey Rudi,

The key to get the geometery right, make sure the bellcrank is vertical, then adjust from there.

When you have things "about" where they should be, get in with a seat and get the stick cut to approximately the lengthl Now adjust the pushrod for the appropriate fore/aft placement. Centering over the spar is about right.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info, that is what makes this forum great, almost instant responses to a quick query. I just looked again at my setup and adjusted slightly and now it is Centering over the spar when Neutral.

I measured my deflections and get the required 20/30 degree elevator throw, so I guess that means it is perfect.

Thank you.
Rudi

Last edited:
Smokin'

Rudy, you are smokin'!! At the rate you're going, it wouldn't surprise me to hear that you're flying by Christmas!! :D

Yes, this forum is great, and for those new here, consider a donation to D.R. for the kids,
Regards,

Not fixed, but slopes forward...

RudiGreyling said:
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info, that is what makes this forum great, almost instant responses to a quick query. I just looked again at my setup and adjusted slightly and now it is Centering over the spar when Neutral.

I measured my deflections and get the required 20/30 degree elevator throw, so I guess that means it is perfect.

Thank you.
Rudi

Rudi,

My RV-6A instructions (similar, as mentioned above) call for a 0 to 5 degree forward slope of the stick when in the neutral position (page 8-18 of the 9/10/01 version), so I guess it's somewhat up the to the builder to determine a comfortable location for neutral.

gil in Tucson

Last edited:
end bearings

I was wondering if I have enough threads screwed
in on the end bearings on the alierons and tubes,
how much threads are sticking out, I suppose I need to measure how much is inside the tubes, but I wanted to make sure , also did yall use loc tight or only use the nuts to hold these in place.. I cut the tubes per plans.. but I keep telling myself, I sure wish these were screwed all the way in.. :)

any tips ?

Danny
Rv9a rigging alierons tubes..

godspeed said:
I was wondering if I have enough threads screwed
in on the end bearings on the alierons and tubes,
how much threads are sticking out, I suppose I need to measure how much is inside the tubes, but I wanted to make sure , also did yall use loc tight or only use the nuts to hold these in place.. I cut the tubes per plans.. but I keep telling myself, I sure wish these were screwed all the way in.. :)

any tips ?

I learned the value of lock tite when flying radio control helicopters. It really helps to keep them all together.

A tip for the threads, is to have at least more than half threaded into the fitting. That way, should the tube slowly revolve from loose lock nuts, then it can't un-thread it's self from one end, before the other end tightens itself.

On my RV6A, I cut the rods to some dimensions on the plans. They were too short to feel comfortable about the exposed threads. I ended up with new ones.

P.S. keep the loctite away from plexiglass!

Back