What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Control Column Weldment Issue

704CH

Well Known Member
Hey guys,

I am working on the center bulkhead on my 7 standard kit and aligning the control column and test fitting the sticks etc. My sticks do not align fore and aft. The passenger stick tip is about 1/2 inch aft of the pilot stick at the tip. These Pics outline the problem, but it even looks worse in real life.

Is this common? The weldments are definitely off, which translate to about 1/2 inch at the ends of the sticks. I wanted to get thoughts before I go back to Vans on this? I think it looks obvious enough for a common person to notice the misalignment.

Note that I am not talking about lateral alignment which can be adjusted by the rod end bearings on the bottom bar, but rather my issue is the fore/aft alignment which is not adjustable and dependent on the weldments.

Images aren't seeming to post from Picasa, so you can check my blog page below:

http://www.704ch.com/2010/07/control-column.html

Thx

Passenger control stick? Whazzat? :D

Mine is likely to stay unattached for the majority of time.

To me, that would be minor. However, it IS a weldment error and if you are not happy, I'm reasonably sure Van's would send you another one.

hmm

So, which one is wrong?

FYI: Any problem will diminish once you chop the sticks to fit.

Last edited:
Press on

Hey Chad,

Press on. As noted, once you trim the sticks to size it will be unnoticeable anyway. Secondly, who cares about the passenger's stick:D

Build on. You'll have much more to fret over later!!!!

Thanks guys, for now I will press on. I am going to head down to Van's in September so I might take a few pieces down then to have them check it out. I really would prefer to have them align perfectly, so we will see what happens.. But for now I will continue on to the next steps with the bulkheads, then wacking away at the longerons.

Thanks

I noticed *exactly* the same thing with mine, and although it bothered me for a day or so, I've got so many other things to work on and worry about, the minor difference had completely dropped off my RADAR :).

By now, I figure what the heck...they'll get cut down, you'll never look at them from the side once the cockpit is finished, and you don't fly with two hands on two sticks, anyway, so you'll never notice. And if you have a copilot, they'll never notice the 1/4" difference, either. I'll use the pilot side for alignment of pushrods, etc., and let the other go where it may.

Building on...

Steve

Back