What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Control Column Oops and Fix ?

RV7Factory

Chief Obfuscation Officer
I was assembling my control column the other night and I got a little overexcited with the belt sander when sanding the powder coat off of the WD-611 right stick so that it would fit into the clevis of the WD-610 control column. This left me with a little bit of play between the two parts with the WD-611 able to slide forward and aft along the bushing about 1/16? before hitting the clevis. Probably not a big deal, but I wanted to improve the fit a bit.

Last night I messed with this and came up with a solution that I want to run by someone. I shortened the bushing a touch, which allowed me to fit an AN960-416L washer between the bushing and the clevis (WD-610). This took care of the issue with the slop being gone and the stick rotating freely.

I hate to be so pedantic about these issues, but this is the control system. Does anyone see any potential problems with this fix? Ironically, the stick moves better now with the washer in place than it did before... maybe this is an improvement. ;)

UPDATE: Forgeddaboutit... I got the answer to my question. If I could delete the post I would, but I can't so I won't. :)

Last edited:
I purposely cut the stick and bushing a bit short. I put a 1/4" ID 1/2" OD brass flat washer on each end. The stick now moves against brass in any direction (radially on the bushing and axially against the washers). Bought the washers at Lowes Aircraft Supply. They are about .030" thick. There is no steel-to-steel contact.

I used the same technique on the aileron bell cranks. Very smooth.

Dave

Back