What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

control cable location (cockpit)

kentb

Well Known Member
I am building a RV9A with IO-320 engine. I will be installing the induction alt. air into the filter and the other door below the TB if the filter gets clogged. Both doors will be operated by pull cables.

While flying I would pull the alt air knob if condition are right (supected ice, rpm,map drop). The other emergency knob would only be pulled if the filter got cloged up and the engine was getting starved for air.

I am putting in the standard engine controls on the F-746 with the alt air on the left.

Question: were should the emergency air knob be placed? Has anyone flown a plane with a simular setup?

Kent

If you plan on making the emergency air knob available to both pilots, I would suggest it be down near where the manual elevator trim goes (not sure if you are using manual or electric). That way it is out of the way for normal operations, not in a location likely to be accidenatlly activated, and both pilots would be able to get to it.
If you are not concerned about dual pilot availability, you could place it on the left side of the panel, or attached to the fuselage with an L bracket below where the cabin air vent is.
From my 50+ hours in my 9A, those are some areas that would be out of the way, and not very obtrusive.
Another option would be to increase the width of the F-746, and have the emerg air located there as well (with maybe a safety latch to keep it from being inadvertently activated).

Ron
RV-9A

Back