What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Control Cable Length

TX7A

Well Known Member
I have the control cables that come with the FWF kit.

Mounting the F-746 control bracket per plans results in the bracket being offset about 1" forward of the instrument panel.
I made a custom cable bracket to replace the F-746 bracket. It essentially mounts flush with the instrument panel (aft side).
This causes the cable run to be slightly longer. With the mixture & throttle cables installed, the operation seems to be correct. (stop-to-stop) However, there is very little slack in the cable from the knob to the control end. Matter of fact, the throttle cable is pretty tight from the bracket to the firewall.

All that to ask:
Would getting slightly longer cables do anything adverse to the normal installation or operation? I can get both cables (throttle & mixture) 2" longer each. I think that will help the length problem. Does the "throw" remain the same?

Comments & help appreciated.

You should definately have some slack in the cables, and don't forget the motor likes to move around so there needs to be some room for movement FWF as well. Changing the length of the cable does not affect cable throw.

Thanks, Walt.
I just knew in my head that getting longer cables would be okay. But, I've run into so many stinkin' gotcha's that I've become a little gun-shy. :eek:

Thanks again.

Back