What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Continental engine RV-10?

RV6_flyer

Well Known Member
Benefactor
I know about Van's 360 Continental RV-10.

My question is: Anyone working on (or flying) a 470, 520, or 550 Continental RV-10? I know that Van does not support those Continental engines.

Looks like it would be a major redesign to accept those engines.

Why would you bother :confused:

Unless the IO550 is brand new, and free, or been given to you for next to nothing (and still brand new) I doubt it is worth the bother.

If you did have one for some reason, sell it and get an IO540.

Mind you 300+ HP would be :eek: :)........ Remember my motto, horsepower isn't everything...Its the ONLY thing!

DB:cool:

The FWF of a Cirrus SR22 would be a great place to start if you're looking to minimise engineering costs.

Yeah...

...and there have been close to a dozen red handle pulls. The Cirrus firewall looks to be close to the size of a -10 as well.

Check aviation junk yards for Cirrus remains.

One fellow in Atlanta, Ga. fitted a Bonanza engine and cowling to an RV,

Best,

I know about Van's 360 Continental RV-10.

My question is: Anyone working on (or flying) a 470, 520, or 550 Continental RV-10? I know that Van does not support those Continental engines.

Looks like it would be a major redesign to accept those engines.

Why would you want to add more than 50lbs to the front end of your plane, that would screw up the weight and balance significantly. You would have to offset that weight somehow, making the whole plane heavier. The control surfaces are not designed to take the extra speed any extra power might offer. The climb rate is already very good. I just don't see what you gain with a TCM engine.

Back