What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Containers for Rivets

David Paule

Well Known Member
Now that the inventory of the hardware for my empennage, standard-build wing and fuselage kits is complete, one question I had is answered.

What size containers are needed for the rivets and how many of them for an RV-3B?

I put all the rivets of the same style and size in the same container for convenience. I'm using plastic water bottles as pkill suggested here: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=82494&highlight=Labels

What's needed are 24 bottles that are 8 oz., and one that's larger. It looks like 20 oz. is about right. And 7 of them contain only a tiny amount of rivets, something like a couple tablespoons each.

I bought a cheap funnel to pour the rivets in.

Dave

Last edited:
As you can see in the following link:

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/displ...ler&project=260&category=2198&log=66286&row=4

I started out with the "fishing tackle" type box. The problem is when you drop the box (not if you drop the box) how long it will take to resort all the parts. I then switched to some inexpensive parts bins from Home Depot. The nice thing is then you can take the tray with rivets to where you are working and all the other parts are left behind. If you drop a tray, the you just pick up the single size rivets with no resorting.

I ended up with four of these for my RV-10. It seemed as I kept getting the subsequent kits, the unique part count kept going up.

It boils down to personal preference and how anal you are at organizational and inventory tasks.

Bob

Rivet Storage

Dave,

For most of my 9 build I worked out of the little paper bags that Van's used to send rivets in. They worked okay. When they went to the little plastic sealed bags I started using 16 box organizer from a company called "Really Useful Boxes". Here's a link to the product (Office Max sells them locally but you can get them at Amazon, too iirc).

http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/usa/html/onlineshop/rub/aTray00_14litreOrg.php

What I like is the individual boxes are about the right size for rivets both in terms of storing a reasonable quantity and beings suitable to work out of directly. What sold me is they have locking lids, which so far have been adequate to protect against a major mess. I'm not crazy about the container the 16 boxes fit/sit in but it works. It made organizing and storing rivets simple, compact, and reasonably safe from spillage. I put labels on the drawer fronts and have all the #3 rivets in one organizer and the #4 and pulled rivets in another 16 box organizer.

If I was starting my project over, this is one of the few things I'd buy at the outset that I didn't buy when I started. Now if I can ever get this 9A in the air, there may be a 3 in my future....

Belt and suspenders

Dave,
I would strongly suggest that you put your rivets in resealable plastic bags and then put those in drawers of a storage container. Why??? Because you have not lived until you knock that storage system over, watching those thousands of carefully sorted rivets get all mixed together!
Ask me how I know. :( It's even worse when your riveting partner does it to you. Save your relationship [or friendship] and take this advice.
You can buy resealable plastic bags with an area to write on them with a Sharpie pen from both MSC and McMaster-Carr. I'm sure that other listers can suggest other sources for these bags. They are also handy for hydraulic fittings, snap bushings, nuts, bolts, washers, etc. 2 or 3 sizes should cover all your needs.

You want the MARK ON PRESS TO CLOSE bags listed below, or something similar.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/118/1556/=hpu1vu

Charlie

Dave, from what I hear, you will need 5gallon buckets for each of the rivet types! Have fun now you have the kit. Are you going to see the RV 1 on Wednesday? I'm thinking of coming over.

Dave,
I would strongly suggest that you put your rivets in resealable plastic bags and then put those in drawers of a storage container. Why??? Because you have not lived until you knock that storage system over, watching those thousands of carefully sorted rivets get all mixed together!

Hardly likely now that the rivets are in plastic water bottles with the caps on. Which is why I did this.

Dave
P.S. I might be at the RV-1, not sure yet.

Hardly likely now that the rivets are in plastic water bottles with the caps on. Which is why I did this.

Dave
P.S. I might be at the RV-1, not sure yet.

Good idea. However, that will only work IF you only open one bottle at a time. Remember, Murphy is hiding in your back pocket.
Charlie

I like these because the little yellow boxes are removable. I store everything in labeled bins, then when I need some rivets, I can just grab the one I need and close the box.

I also use the Stanley boxes with the removable yellow boxes. Lowes sells the Stanley large box. The bought the smaller Stanley boxes online. Both sizes are recommended.

I started out using a large tackle box that had about seven trays with dividers in each tray. It worked fine until I reached in to get some rivets. The little plastic dividers will move or slide up just enough to let the rivets get underneath and then everything gets mixed up. If you go this route be sure to add a small glob of RTV to the dividers so they can't move up. Otherwise it worked great.

I'm using four Husky model 17185073 hardware organizers from Home Depot for the empennage, wings, and fuselage of my RV-7. When the organizer is closed and latched, the individual boxes are sealed at the top, and the parts won't mix.
DSCN3004.JPG

The cheap, disposable food storage containers work great. I put a label on with marking tape or, if I get ambitious, make paper labels on the printer and cover with clear packing tape.

Advantage is large size - harder to spill a load all over the place like the small drawers.

Head to one of the few photo stores left that still develop 35mm film and ask for their empty film canisters. Drill a small hole in the cap just large enough to let a few rivets drop out with a light shake and then sharpie the rivet size on the cap. Doing so means no chance for catastrophic spills and is much easier than dragging a whole tackle box of assorted rivets around when you only need one or two sizes of rivets at a time. True, it may be harder these days to find the film canisters anymore, but most hardware stores or kitchen stores will have suitable alternatives (e.g. clear plastic spice jars).

Last edited:
Here is my solution:

25_20111108081302434.jpg

If you drop it you may only loose a rivet or 2 but otherwise they are perfect. can be found at any walmart, homedepot or lowes.

-david

I bought two 30 space bins from Northern Tools, then used a labeler to identify each bin. The bins hold quite a bit and are removable, which makes it handy when needing the rivets close by. I've only used about 2/3 of the bins in the first unit for the tail kit.

Here is my solution:

25_20111108081302434.jpg

If you drop it you may only loose a rivet or 2 but otherwise they are perfect. can be found at any walmart, homedepot or lowes.

-david

I use the same things, and I love them. I just dump out 20-30 rivets at a time into a dish as I use them.

OK, I concede this thread to the natural frugality of homebuilders but I think a post supporting the standard rivet tray is needed.
I have 3. A couple of bin dividers too.They hold the majority of my rivets and also a number of washers. The spring loaded lids are great for preventing rivet spills.

I got mine on e-bay but here is a vendor link.

Rivet tray

Back