What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Container to prep and alodine wing ribs

skyyking56

Well Known Member
Has anyone found the perfect cheap container to alumiprep and alodine wing ribs in? I kinda like dipping versus brushing.
I did find that the cheap plastic wallpaper containers (from any paint store) work well for the emp ribs and smaller parts, but I'm trying to look forward to the larger wing ribs prep.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim
7A almost to the Rudder

I went to Sprawlmart and in the storage container section I found a long, shallow plastic box. Apparently designed to slip under a bed. I put enough Alodine in it to cover a rib, and it worked perfectly. These boxes come in a variety of sizes and shapes, and they're made by Rubbermaid, Sterilite, and a couple others. Cheap and easy. I suppose you could even put the cover on it and leave the Alodine stored in it for a while if you need to; I just use a funnel and poured mine back into the jugs.

You can make up a quick container for soaking large flat stuff using nothing more than a few 2x4's and a sheet of plastic.

It works...

DanH said:
You can make up a quick container for soaking large flat stuff using nothing more than a few 2x4's and a sheet of plastic.

I did the plastic lined wood box thing too.... worked well and can be custom sized for each application.

Long skinny stuff - such as tubing - can be done in a length of plastic gutter.

gil in Tucson

Try vacuum food bags

I copied a suggestion and used one of those plasic vacuum food storage bags, rolled of about 6 feet, sealed one end and then could slide parts in and fill with alodine. After my emp parts I got some small punctures. The nice thing about the bag is you can use less liquid, by removing most of the air.

I have used a combination of 3 troughs. 1 was the standard wooden box lined with plastic for doing long parts like spars and stiffeners. The other 2 are the standard closet storage boxes.

This is what i found recently for creating an alodine bathtub. I could literally take a bath inside of the left red container.

.slide_IMG_4461.JPG

I found the red container, on the left, at the Container Store. It's intended to be used for storage for an artificial christmas tree. 4 x 2 x 1 feet or so. It was cheap - $30-$40 or so.

The white container on the right is what i have been using. It's your standard closet storage container. It was big enough for 95% of all parts so far. I got the red one, just in case for those big parts.

These containers have lids, which lock down nicely. Thus, i can fairly safely store the alodine in these containers.

Jae

containers

I've been using a jumbo wallpaper tray. For most of my shorter emp parts,
this has worked well. Longer parts have required the brush method.

I have used both a length of plastic pipe that is caped at one end, filled with alodine as a tank, standing up on end, and a length of plastic pipe capped at both ends, split longwise on a band saw----makes a trough to the exact size needed. You can support it with sand bags, or make a cradle.

This way you can customize to size needed, and not have to use so much fluid.

Mike

Back