What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Construction WebCam

llavalle

Well Known Member
I've set up a webcam in my shop to take pictures of the build. It's set up to take a picture every 5min if there is movement then upload it on my webserver.

The website is in french but the picture does not have a language :D

You can check it out here :

http://www.llavalle.ca/webcam

webcam.jpg

Click on the picture to get a full view then you can hit "F5" to refresh. I'll be working on the project on most week days from 7-9 PM EST and during the weekend.

As of this writing, the last picture was taken ~2h ago : I was back riveting the rudder stiffners on my -9 emp.

Happy watching ;)

Excellent idea Phillippe,
Couple years ago there were two RV webcams I was watching when I was building the empennage. They were operational for about four months and were very motivational. Hope your webcam will be on untill your plane is flying.

No force major please. You can always work as a building mechanic:D Our hospital is hiring. Keep the project rolling and camera ON

Last edited:
Philippe,
Is it possible to set a webcam in the shop without having a website? I am total dummy in IT world but would like to have a toy like yours.

Philippe,
Is it possible to set a webcam in the shop without having a website? I am total dummy in IT world but would like to have a toy like yours.

Sure!
If all you want to do is take an image every x minutes or seconds, just plug a webcam to a laptop / regular computer and use a webcam software to take pictures.

If you don't have access to a computer for your shop, you can use a "IP Webcam". It's a self contained unit that plugs into your network and can be made avaiable over the internet.

I use my laptop's built in webcam with the following software : YawCam, it's a free, Java based application to control webcams.

It can save the pictures to the hard drive, upload them to a website's ftp server(what I'm doing) or simply made available with it own webserver.

If you want to share the webcam with others, you have 2 options
1-Buy webhosting and upload the file (like I'm doing)
2-Use the built in webserver.

If you want to use option #2, you'll have give your IP address to the other party.. Depending on you connection, the IP address can or cannot change after some time. In case you have a IP Address that changes (probably the case), you can create a "NO-IP" address. It's free and comes with a small software that you install on your computer that detect IP changes and updated the "NO-IP" address.

Let me know if you need more info, I can help you out! just send me a MP!

I am running Mac

Old iMac with 5 years old OS but thinking of buying new Apple soon. Looks like that software you mentioned works for PCs only. Is there some webcam software available for Mac?

I have strong wireless signal in my shop and my desktop will move there when it gets warmer.

Last edited:
If you've got good wireless, then as Philippe said earlier the easiest solution might be a wireless network (IP) camera. No computer is needed, just plug it in and configure.

I've got a Panasonic (wired) network camera that's been running solid for two years now. It takes a picture every 30 seconds and uploads it to a web site. It will also stream live video, but you've got to open up a port on your router/firewall, and I didn't want to do that. More info here. I am not necessarily recommending any of these, just providing a link so that you know what's out there.

Have fun!

Last edited:
webcam offline

Philippe your webcam indicates it's offline. Was couple of weeks like that. Is my computer faulty or yours doesn't transmit?

Philippe your webcam indicates it's offline. Was couple of weeks like that. Is my computer faulty or yours doesn't transmit?

Well, you have to look at it while I'm working! If I'm not there, the program upload the "offline" picture. The minute I step in the shop, it start snapping pictures at 5min interval.

Back