What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Constant Speed Conversion

WingnutWick

Well Known Member
Hello all,

I am looking to convert my fixed pitch prop to a constant speed and was was wondering what I need to do this and the approximate cost. My RV-8's O-360 is plumbed for this but other than that I really don't have a good grasp on what exactly I need to buy (i.e. Governor, hub, etc), the best place to find those part (I'm happy with used other than prop..I want a new Whirlwind), and what to expect as far as labor or ease of installment.

Any feedback is much appreciated!

Thank you!
Charles

Fixed pitch.... Brrrrrrrrrrr, Oooooo, Brrrrrrrrrr

Constant speed...... OMG, OMG, OMG, Brrrrrrrrrr, OMG, Brrrrrrrr

I think that says enough :D

M

Constant speed

What is this saying exactly?

He's saying the takeoff performance is amazing and then cruise is the same as a fixed pitch .
Most people that down play the constant speed prop are not flying one .
How many threads can you find on how to downgrade to a fixed pitch ???

That is a great thread that documents the conversion. Going to a WW will be a bit easier of course since you don't need to do a new backplate/spinner as the WW comes with one already fit for the prop.

Although the takeoff performance is often cited as a reason for the CS, the thing I like most is being able to accelerate more quickly following an energy excursion. Definitely doesn't apply to everyone, but I sure appreciate it.

WW ground adjustable prop?

I like the rapidity of energy addition that a CS has, which also is applicable to the type of flying I do on occasion. I am curious, what has been the consensus on the WW ground adjustable prop? I've heard good things with an added plus of light weight. Any feedback on this? It sure would save $$$, time, and effort.

Back