What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Considering taking the plunge

Coinneach

Well Known Member
A little background: working on my PP-SEL, expect to finish in August or September. I've been drooling over RVs for years (although I've never gotten a ride, and only seen them from a distance), but never could get over the logistics of building. I live alone, in an apartment with no garage. However, all that's about to change.

My daughter (a budding aviatrix, and very mechanically inclined) is coming to live with me, and I'm buying a house. I'm finally to the point in my career where I can put aside $1,000 per month or so without feeling the pinch. So, I'm reviving my old dream.

I'm leaning towards a QB -9A tip-up with a Jab 3300 (economical) or O-320 (fast). I don't need and have no interest in aerobatics. Most likely going with glass instead of steam.

"Most likely," Hotel Echo Lima Lima, I've been working up a detailed equipment list, including part numbers and prices...

Anyway. I've also been reading other 9 builders' websites, and honestly, it's a bit intimidating. I've built static and r/c models all my life, and perform my own car maintenance and repairs, so this should be doable, but still, some of the tasks look rather :eek:-ish.

Absolutely no point to this post, I guess, other than to say hello. So, hello.

Last edited:
Welcome

First off, anyone who tells you it ain't hard will lie about other things, too. BUT it is doable and oh so worth it! Having just made my first flight in my 9A about three months ago, I know. Building is like any other big project (I built my own home,) it is just one simple step after another. Just lots of steps. To get to reasonable and safe quality is easy--show quality, wait until you build your third or so.

To get your feet wet, order the emp kit and buy the minimum tools you will need. You will know in a month or two if it is for you. Most you will be out is a couple months of "mad money."

Bob Kelly

It's just like building a large scale r/c model. Instead of balsa you use metal and the pieces are a little bigger. Have someone teach you how to rivet or help someone build theirs for a while. The riveting is pretty easy to learn if you are good with tools. And like Bob said it's one simple step after another and before you know it you have the beginning of a plane. You will learn a lot and you will meet some great people.

There are many builders out there who have little experience with tools and have built nice planes. As a prior poster said, this experience is about many smaller projects. The overall project is huge, but you will be busy and think only on the existing project at hand. I have a couple days left on the ailerons - overall a several week project. I read ahead, decide how much to do in a session (average 1-2 hours/day, more on weekends), check off my progress on the instructions, and so on. I can't even think of the day it is all done - I really don't have any timeline (though my pace is looking at about three years compared to similarly paced builders already done), which takes away any pressure. I find it peaceful and relaxing, tunes going in the background, and sometimes have the kids join in (your daughter, depending on her age, can help out making for great time together).
To make the experience easier up front, read alot from these forums, ask questions (most folks here are happy to help), review some builder's websites (I have several that are quite detailed and that I always review ahead of my current 'project', including the famous Dan Checkoway's site), find some local builders (Chad Jensen, a prolific contributor to this site, lives nearby and has been most helpful), join the local EAA chapter, and start off with a Van's practice kit or two. There are classes you can enroll in if desired, and at OSH they have some riveting and other classes for free (I started last summer, and took a metal class). GO FOR IT!! It will be one of the bigger things you accomplish in life, and after you're done, it will be a useful tool to create dreams that most will never experience. Look through these forums at the experiences with these chariots - trips throughout this country, to the Bahamas, soaring over the Grand Canyon, flying to OSH, - there are no limits.

Last edited:
Sportair Workshops

Once I decided I was going to build an RV, my first cash outlay was for a weekend Sportair workshop at OSH. I can't say enough good things about it. I've encountered nothing in the way of aluminum or metal working that I didn't have a chance to try at the workshop. The shop facilities were fantastic and the instructors very knowledgable. All in all it was a fun weekend for only $280 that told me I would love building an RV ... and that has turned out to be an understatement. Frankly, I can't imagine never having set a rivet prior to building the tail kit. The confidence you get from the workshop will serve you in good stead.

Rupester
RV-9A QB fuse nearly done.

Ditto to all the above - now flying over two years!

It sounds like my story in all the above posts. I started with the short riveting class at OSH 2002, picked the RV-9A slider at that show. I started my project in October 2002 with the first flight on June 9, 2005. When I went to OSH 2004, it was the class on fiberglass for RV's that got my attention since the fuselage was in my garage at the time.

Like some of the other web publishers, I put my story online at my little corner of the web: www.n2prise.org.

It was a lot of little jobs that finished with an airplane in place of a pile of parts. I have a photo on the site of the DAR presenting the airworthiness certificate on June 8, 2005.

I built my RV-9A in a one-car garage with some riveting help from some friends. Do yourself a favor, get the O-320 160HP engine with C/S prop. No auto conversions! I get 25 MPG cruising at 160 MPH with 100 low-lead AVGAS. Go for it!

Jerry K. Thorne
East Ridge, TN
RV-9A - - N2PZ
Hobbs = 234.7 hours

Coinneach said:
...I'm leaning towards a QB -9A tip-up with a Jab 3300 (economical) or O-320 (fast). I don't need and have no interest in aerobatics. Most likely going with glass instead of steam...
Good luck with the project. What every has said is right on the money, and I do mean money!

As for using the Jab 3300, I'm sure it is a good engine but you will spend a LOT of time fitting any engine other than the O-320 to an RV. I found a 0 SMHO O-290 for a very good price and elected to install that. Even though it is a recommended engine and fits the standard mount, it has taken a long time to get set up and running.

Installing an OTL (Other Than Lycoming) engine can be done, don't get me wrong, but to install the 3300 you will have to fabricate a custom engine mount, cowling, and a bunch of other things. Then, there is that issue of W&B. That engine may require a longer engine mount to make the W&B work out, thus upsetting the looks.

Yes!!

Welcome on here Mr. Coinneach,
What I see as a grandfather, is an outstanding opportunity for you to have the most beautiful, quality time with your daughter! Building an airplane side by side with a loved one is an awesome experience that words can't describe. As Todd said, it's just a bigger RC airplane, even though that's an oversimplification....more pieces and lots of smaller accomplishments. You'll be a changed man, I can assure you.....for the better. We're in the smallest of circles of Americans.......people who've built and flown their own airplane. Don't ever doubt your abilities.......it's the WILL that you have that determines whether or not you build.

Regards,
Pierre

Welcome!

Welcome, Coinneach.

All the others have said above is true. It's a LOT of work but is very rewarding. Building the tail kit will usually give a person the answer to the 'can I do it' question...the rest of the plane is (in large part) just more of that.

I myself remember looking at the aileron pushrods and bellcranks in my wing one day and saying, "This is JUST like the .40 Hots II R/C stunt plane I use to fly. Just bigger!"

Best,
Doug

First, try to snag a flight in an RV locally. If you have been flying 172s to date, you'll be hooked I think. This experience will get you through the hard times during construction.

Daughter moving in, interested in airplanes- perfect, you have your riveting partner in house so to speak. This will be an amazing project/ experience for both of you and you'll cherish and remember this for your entire life.

If you have the drive to stick with long term projects you hopefully will be able to complete a -9A project. Be aware that it will probably take 3-5 years if you are as busy as most of us are and this will spead costs out nicely as well. At times, it will be bleak with the end seemingly nowhere in sight. It will be frustrating at times but the rewards and education of building your own airplane are like few other things in aviation.

Start on the tail kit and see how it feels. If it seems like a bit too much, there are always QB options. For only several grand more, they will save you a year or two of build time in most cases.

Unless you are good at design, welding and fabrication, best stick with an O-320. Alternate engine installations will add 400-600 hours to the build time in most cases and extend your test flight time considerably. Building the airplane is a big enough challenge for most to finish, the other engine idea will add many hours and lots of frustration. However if you thrive on that- go for it, but don't say I didn't warn you.

:)

Once done, your RV will open up a new world of travel and discovery for you and your daughter. For some inspiration go to my page here: http://www.sdsefi.com/rv15.htm

The last photo is of a very nice 9A tip up, O-320 at a fly in we went to yesterday. You meet to fine people along this journey and make some great RV friends. :D

Thanks to all for the warm welcome. :D

I've changed my spec a bit to the O-320, but I'm inclined to stay with a fixed prop for simplicity and maintenance. When I emailed Jabiru, asking about LASAR ignitions in their rigs, they had no idea what I was talking about. That and the lack of RV-specific info on their site is a big turn-off.

I flew 172s for my first 20.6 hours. I now fly a Warrior. The thought of going 50mph faster on the same engine makes me all kinds of happy, and doing it on the same fuel economy as my Crown Vic with twice the speed (not that I've ever had my car up to the governor limit, EVAR) just sweetens the deal.

If I can find a -9 driver locally, I'll definitely try to wheedle a ride out of him. "Locally" right now means Denver, but will be Phoenix in a few months.

I'm very good with tools and machines (better than with people, truth be told), but the weekend workshop sounds like a fine idea.

Daughter (she's 16, btw, and more perceptive, intelligent, and level-headed than most adults I've known) is excited by the idea of helping me build an airplane. "Hey, Erin, what'd you do this weekend?" "Not much. Helped my dad hang the engine in the airplane that we're building, and worked on the interior. What did you do?" "Um... sat around and watched cartoons."

:D

I'm going to order the preview plans this week, and empennage kit and tools after we're settled in Phoenix, probably October. We'll see how that goes, and hopefully move on from there.

Coinneach said:
snip...
If I can find a -9 driver locally, I'll definitely try to wheedle a ride out of him. "Locally" right now means Denver, but will be Phoenix in a few months....snip
Well, SWA is pretty cheap down to DFW for the day. Come on down and I'll give you a flight in my -6 if you can't find anyone nearby. Lunch on me...

B,
D

Bummer!

I left KFNL (fort collins/Loveland) this morning at 5am...Thats wheels left the ground at 5am.

One fuel stop, 7 hours later (economy cruise with headwinds) I landed at Corvallis Oregon.

I would have loved to have given a ride as I was down there since Wednesday.

Oh...the above trip report might give you an idea of the RV's performance!

Its a big job, you need committment...But what an airplane!

Frank 7a

DeltaRomeo said:
Well, SWA is pretty cheap down to DFW for the day. Come on down and I'll give you a flight in my -6 if you can't find anyone nearby. Lunch on me...

B,
D

Doug, I sincerely appreciate the offer. I've asked for volunteers on the AOPA forum and have a few leads. If they don't come through, I might take you up on it.

frankh said:
I left KFNL (fort collins/Loveland) this morning at 5am..

Just my luck. Maybe next time, yeah?

Hi,

From one newbie to a hopful newer newbie, welcome to the list. (I presume that after I complete my tail section I will no longer be a newbie....)

If you are comfortable with tools and you are an experienced model airplane builder, you will not have many problems. There is a steep learning curve, for sure, as most model airplanes are not riveted together, but you will get through it, and having your daughter there will not only keep your language in check when you screwed up something, :eek: she will help to keep you focused and will provide encouragement when you really messed up something and you wonder if you are too dumb to actually build this thing.

If the daughter wants to help, then what are you waiting for? Well, other than for the house, which is being taken care of. You sound like you are mentally ready to go so you may as well get started. The sooner you start, the sooner it will be done.

Jeff R said:
If the daughter wants to help, then what are you waiting for? Well, other than for the house, which is being taken care of. You sound like you are mentally ready to go so you may as well get started. The sooner you start, the sooner it will be done.

Mentally, I am absolutely ready to do this RFN. Financially and logistically is going to take a bit longer. Amusing note: I found that there's going to be a Sportair course at Flabob in October. My little sister and I grew up about 5 miles from RIR, and she's still there, so I have a place to crash that weekend. :cool:

Back