What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Considering leasing a plane while building -10

Team 10,
I am thinking about leasing a plane with similar flying characteristics as the -10, while I'm building mine, to build up hours, get experience, and lower my future insurance premiums.

What are your thoughts on the concept and the type of plane? How would I find one?

Thanks,
Mike Strube
Builder #41000

Seems to me renting or joining a club would be a better (read cheaper)option than leasing or buying outright just to have a time builder. Come this summer when my BFR is due I'm going to transition from 172s to an Arrow IV to build low-wing time myself. At my home field it's the closest thing to an RV-10 available. If a Cirrus was available I'd probaby look seriously at an SR22.

I flew a Grumman Tiger for about 4 years while building and transition to the -10 was very easy.

I live in an area where there are no clubs, partnerships available.

I looked at a couple of options. One in Wisconsin had the best deal, but they prefer to lease local and do the maintenance themselves.

Another in Tulsa was obviously geared toward flight schools. There minimum hours per month were way more than I could fly by myself.

I just got into a deal to lease where two partners had bought an SR-20 and one had stopped flying. He wanted the plane to be sold but toys aren't selling well now, so I offered to half lease the plane with the other flying partner until it sells. This seems to be a win-win and you might want to inquire with planes in your area for sale to see if you could lease until they sell. I got a steal, I pay $425 a month plus $50 a tach hour and pay for my own fuel. I fly about 12 hours a month now, so my cost is about $135 a tach hour wet. Not bad for a 150kt plane and a tach hour averages about 1.2 Hobbs hours.

Not a bad idea, in this economy it could be a win-win situation. I'll mention it at the next EAA chapter meeting too.

thanks,
Mike

Back