What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Considering color change on RV-6A

X21RV6A

I have been considering a color change for my plain white RV6A. Looking at all the incrediable pictures here and on Google images and found a color scheme that is rather interesting. I'm somewhat concerned about the black wings and horizontal stab. I live in Central FL and it gets HOTT inside the RV greenhouse and I don't want to add to the problem. If I go with this look I was thinking that I would paint the wings (Black) and Fuse (Green) and do the black graphics in vinyl. Looking for feedback/suggestions.

Might not be all that visible in the trees. Something to think about should the worst happen.

Dark colors?

Dark colors will get very hot. The Aluminum will expand and there maybe additional waviness of the skins that will be visible to all. More oil canning.

I wasn't thinking about the oil canning aspect, but that would only be an issue while sitting on the ramp and this 6 doesn't see much of that. Having said that, I understand that black is a tough color to paint and have it look good as shows every imperfection.

Let me ask this, is there a service out there that will help to design a color scheme if you want to paint yourself? There needs to be an app for that:)

There's a program for designing paint schemes on model aircraft, and they have a lot of different base models to start from. The RV's are one of the base models. The program has a trial version, but costs $25 or something like that to use indefinitely.

You edit paint schemes in MS Paint on templates they provide, and the program wraps the 2-D paint onto a 3-D model of the airplane. It works quite well, with the caveat that you don't get much control over the top and bottom centerline of the fuselage... That part is averaged in from the side views. But you get full control over top and bottom of wings, top and bottom of horizontal tail, and left and right sides.

I wish I could remember the name, but I know it's been mentioned here on VAF before... Search may be your friend.

Black Wings in the Florida Sun?

Even in Michigan (with white wings), I hate it when I pay $$$ for avgas and see it vented onto the ramp when the plane has been sitting in the sun with full tanks. Worse yet is if I pull a cap and it comes bubbling out.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Back