What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Connectors / plugs?

Paul K

Well Known Member
Working on the electrical finally, in a small way, I have to decide on how to make my wing tip strobes and position lights be able to disconnect so I can remove the wingtip for various reasons. So the question is, do I use AMP Molex type plugs or do I install terminal strips, or do I use a plug that is sealed like those used on cars? I'm thinking about water, dirt, connections, rust, etc.

I am also starting to install the strobe power supply and tail light Wires. Again, I would like to be able to remove the rudder fairing or tail light for service.

Finally, If I don't ground the fixtures at the location and run a ground wire back to the source, how do you handle the shielding? Should it be isolated at the fixture and grounded at the source?

What are the rest of you using for plugs? Any photos? Any resources where I can go to for information?

Paul,
I've been using the AMP molex type connectors successfully for years on many airplanes. They are light weight and very reasonably priced.

Back