What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Connecting Up Electronic Ignition

Larry

My engine will have a magneto on one side and Lightspeed electronic ignition on the other. How do you connect up the electronic ignition to the ignition switch? The switch has a connection to ground to kill the magneto in off or when the other side is on but no connection for B+. I have a standard ignition switch.

By the way, I hang the engine this weekend, expect pictures. Also, I appreciate all the help you guys in the forum have given me. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
check your instruction sheets that came with light speed the output conector drawing explanes this.
bob mcmillin RV-9 90825 wiring, waiting on radios and instruments

The 15 pin output connector, pin 1, clearly shows and explicidly states, to connect it to your key switch terminal.

Grounding pin one of this connector will kill the ignition of an LSE II or III but NOT the LSE I.

FOr the LSE 1 you use pin 9

If you do not have wire diagrams. You had better get em.

You need diagrams for both the input and output connectors for the LSE.
Found here:
LSE Diagrams
Best,

I should have put in more detail in my question. What I am concerned with is the 12v input to the LSI. It saids to connect it through a 5 amp breaker through a switch than directly to the battery. If I forget to turn off the LSI switch I could drain down the battery even if I have shut off the master. Also I could kill the LSI by unintentionally hitting the LXI switch. There is no circuit in the ignition switch I have for controlling a load when the ignition switch is on. How have other builders with LSIs worked this issue. I have considered putting a warning light that shows that the LSI power is off if the oil pressure is high and also show that the LSI power is on if the oil pressure is low. This will help me to remember to shut down the LSI with master off and warn me if I accedently kill the LSI during normal operation. I am looking for a simple solution. :)

Larry,
You could run the LSE right off your hot side of the master solenoid, put a fuse in line, and your LSE would be available to you ALWAYS, but not draw any power when the ign sw grounds it. As I recall the unit does not draw power if the sw is off and the power is hot.

Check with Klaus on that.

If im wrong then put it on the cold side of your master solenoid.

Best,

Larry said:
I should have put in more detail in my question. What I am concerned with is the 12v input to the LSI. It saids to connect it through a 5 amp breaker through a switch than directly to the battery. If I forget to turn off the LSI switch I could drain down the battery even if I have shut off the master. Also I could kill the LSI by unintentionally hitting the LXI switch. There is no circuit in the ignition switch I have for controlling a load when the ignition switch is on. How have other builders with LSIs worked this issue. I have considered putting a warning light that shows that the LSI power is off if the oil pressure is high and also show that the LSI power is on if the oil pressure is low. This will help me to remember to shut down the LSI with master off and warn me if I accedently kill the LSI during normal operation. I am looking for a simple solution. :)
I used two magneto/ignition switches ala 'lectric Bob. Left switch is a magneto OFF/ON/START switch. Right switch is Electronic Ignition OFF/ON. You are correct in the fact that if you leave your ignition switches on after shutdown, you will drain your battery. Been there, done that. If I redo this, I would add a relay to an oil pressure switch and a warning light that would light up if the switch is on and the oil pressure is low/off. That's the only thing missing in my implementation that I would do differently. You can view my wiring diagrams at:

http://www.pflanzer-aviation.com/WiringDiagrams.html

Back