What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Connecting three wires

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
What are acceptable practices for connecting three wires? I've seen spade and but splices but that covered connecting two wires. Some of the pin outs for electrical connections show multiple devices connected to a pin in a DB connector or sometimes I need to wire some led lights in parallel. Sho how can I connected three or more leads without adding a bulky terminal strip?

Is it as simple as putting a hook in one wire and then wrapping the other two around that and shrink wrapping? What about DB connectors and need multiple wires connected to a pin?

If you look on Bob Nuckoll's site, you'll find that the simplest way is to use a butt splice. Put two wires in one end and one wire in the other. Done.

Gotcha, that is what I was thinking. I saw the 43.13 info and it doesnt really deal with ganged signal wiring or other multi-butt connections.

Closed-end splices:

closendsplpi.jpg

What about DB connectors and need multiple wires connected to a pin?

That one I'd be interested in, too...I've been able to crimp in two *very small* gauge wires into a single D-sub pin/socket, but beyond that...no dice. I *thought* there was a specific pin or socket which would accept larger gauge (than 18) wire or two somewhat smaller ones, with a different part number, and I could swear I saw it one time, but never was able to find it again.

Last edited:
D-sub contacts that allow larger wire sizes.

Positronics Industries sells them.

Allows 18AWG wire to fit standard density d-subs (20-24AWG):

Male - MC6018D [Garmin PN 336-00025-00]
Female - FC6018D [Garmin PN 336-00023-00]

Allows 20AWG wire to fit high density d-subs (22-28AWG):

Male - MC8020D
Female - FC8020D

Last edited:
Back