What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Confirm for me

Kobwo

Mornin,

During my build should my -7 be built with The weight up front or aft? Is it typically tail heavy?

Cheers

I can't speak for an RV-7 but ...

When our RV-6A went through the professional weight & balance check it came out exactly on the nominal CG specified in the builders manual. My SWAG is that the RVs are designed to come out near centered in the allowable CG range. In other words I think if you consciously try to skew the CG one way or the other it is a mistake you will have to address later on.

Bob Axsom

Mornin,

During my build should my -7 be built with The weight up front or aft? Is it typically tail heavy?

Needs to be on the nose heavy side. Weight can go aft to a point for efficiency. but becomes a real control problem.......past that point.

On my aircraft, knowing that I had a heavier C/S prop up front, I did mount the strobe flasher unit, and ELT towards the tail. Auto-pilot servo in the wing, was installed on the right side, to offset the pilot.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Thanks Bob, I ask because I plan to deviate from the standard setup that Van designed the -7 around back in the day. If I hang heavier stuff up front (io-390' Hartzell CS prop, etc...) then do I NEED to be sure to put weight in the aft end like battery and stuff. Does the -7 more easily run aft of CG, thereby limiting baggage capacity if I build light up front instead, full fuel, etc...? I know everything is a balance but curious if the -7 has a tendency one way or the other.

Thanks Bob, I ask because I plan to deviate from the standard setup that Van designed the -7 around back in the day. If I hang heavier stuff up front (io-390' Hartzell CS prop, etc...) then do I NEED to be sure to put weight in the aft end like battery and stuff. Does the -7 more easily run aft of CG, thereby limiting baggage capacity if I build light up front instead, full fuel, etc...? I know everything is a balance but curious if the -7 has a tendency one way or the other.

I'd leave the battery right where it is. They are not that heavy, and will eliminate cable and additional weight in the back.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

My friend's RV-7A is slightly tail heavy. O-360 with Sensenich fixed pitch prop. He's limited to 80lb in the baggage compartment.

It's my understanding that IO-360 with Hartzell CS is about right.

Yes, I agree, same for the -7 I built: IO-360 with C/S prop, came out about right which is forward CG empty. That way anything you add moves the CG aft of the forward limit and allows you to max out the baggage without a problem.

I think one of the problems we get into is the prop itself. The really lightweight props up front shift the CG aft, while the CS versions keep it where it was originally planned.

Back