What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Conduit Plumbing

Bart

Well Known Member
I read on a couple of builder blogs that they ran conduit in order to have a way to run wires from the aft to the front. Can anyone explain this that has done it? There are only holes to run conduit in the side walls that I can see. The only holes that run through the tunnel are for the control tube and rudder wires. No additional holes are in the wing spar so I can only imagine that you have to run the conduit from the from to the side walls to the aft compartment?or is there another routing folks have used? Are there any techniques, run power in one and non-power in another, etc?

Bart,

The conduit runs from the tail cone under the bagage compartment to the sides where the wires can then be run forward. I used two 1" conduits and wish I ran four. The biggest run is the main feed from the battery(s) located in the tailcone. I mounted a GDL-69 and remote transponder plus an o2 system so I had more runs than others might have.

If you go to Tim's site you can see how he ran his, mine is similar.

http://www.myrv10.com/N104CD/fuselage/20050517/index.html

Is the conduit "split" so it is easier to add wire or do you run a chase line in with every wire? It seems the split would be so much easier and I don't see an obvious disadvantage (just because I don't see the disadvantage doesn't mean there isn't one). Inquiring minds would like to know.

If you can lay your hands on the instructions that come with the wiring harness, they show the recommended routing. The tail light/strobe wires come along the left tailcone in the J-stiffener then under the baggage compartment with the battery cables to the wing root and then over the spar. Similar runs can be made on the right side.

I used the black split conduit for the standard wiring runs per the instructions of the wire "harness" (not hardley a harness), and then I ran a solid plastic conduit down the passenger side walls, then unber the baggage floors through the lightning holes, then down the stiffners (and also thorugh the lightning holes of the bulkheads) of the tailcone and all the way to the tail. I expect to put the strobe coax in that and anything else I find later I need to get through the fuse.:eek:

Hey Rick,

I'm searching through some old threads and digging up an old one here....

I'm now to the point of running conduit and securing the baggage floors and rear seat floors.

I'm curious to know where you penetrated the airframe for 1" conduits. Also curious to know if you talked with Vans before doing it?

If you would have ran four 1" conduits, did you have some penetration locations in mind?

Since I'm still undecided on the panel and wiring layout of the airplane, I want to make sure I load the airplane with plenty of conduits.

Also, what's the proper way to secure the conduits to the airframe?

Thanks,
Phil

I ran the standard Van’s .75” flexible conduit to the comm antenna under the rear seats (one on each side) , then one of the .75” Van's flexible conduit and a 1.25” flexible innerduct from Anixter on each side to the tailcone.

You can see the route of each conduit in the following photo. I wanted to keep the larger conduit near the battery mount for the fat cables.

FP21082009A00039.jpg

Here's where they came out on the rear seat panel. (not the best picture). This allows the conduit to hide behind the access panel and run forward through the lightening holes in the bulkheads.

FP22082009A0003D.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the photo's, Bob!

It looks like you enlarged the lower hole in the airframe to 1.25"?? I'm a litte paranoid about enlarging those holes, so I'm trying to get a handle on what's typically accepted among other RV-10's.

Also, are most folks terminating the conduit at the mid-fuse decks? Then routing the wires through those holes 3/4" holes (2 per side) before starting another run of conduit on forward to panel/firewall?

Thanks again for the photos. They're very helpful.

Phil

Back