What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Conduit Placement in QB Wings ??

BillSchlatterer

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Can't decide if this is a good thing to do or not. I need to run conduit in my QB wings but there are no consistent tooling holes anywhere except where Vans put the pitot holes and the one tooling hole above that. (actually below if the wing is right side up).

It would be pretty easy to put a 3/4 hole in place of the pitot holes and in the tooling holes above with a 3/4 step drill and a 4 foot extension but it would get pretty close to the spar. Is there an edge distance issue with this or does it even apply? Doing it anywhere else without the tooling holes is problamatic?

Any comments, suggestions, pictures appreciated.

Bill S
RV7 only the wings left,?.

I am saying this from memory so bare with me. On Van's website is where I got it I think. They have a drawing saying where you can put a hole in the wing ribs. I took this drawing to a copy shop and had it blown up to full size. Then I held it against the ribs so I could mark them, then drilled them and installed the black conduit thing they recommend. The whole thing took maybe an hour. Maybe someone here will speak up if the drawing was posted somewhere else.
Good luck!

Van's Guidance

I wrestled with how I wanted to run my wires, actually finally did something months after getting all of the other wing stuff done. Do look at the Van's link it is a one page PDF file and it gives you recommended options. I don't think you want to open up the tooling holes closest to the spar to 3/4".

I used the location recommended by Van's for the flexible conduit, which is a 3/4" hole low and aft of the most forward lightening hole, it goes in the meaty part of the rib. Some make stand off brackets and just run it though the lightening hole. With the QB wing it is a bit of work but not bad. You will need a drill extension and a step-drill (Unibit). Running the conduit through the holes under the inboard skin will be the toughest part. The link below is to my log when I did this, just a few weeks ago.

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_log.php?user=rvg8tor&project=403&category=3040&log=81412&row=5

Cheers

I didn't like the tooling hole location and used the lower part of the rib but away from the spar a little ways:

5WingTips016.JPG

TrioEZ-PilotServoInstall002.JPG

other pictures showing the servo and nav/strobe light wiring routing are on my web site at:

http://rv6aproject.ckhand.com/finishingStages/TrioRollServoInstall/TrioEZ-PilotServoInstallPg1.htm

Solution :)

Guys on the Matronics list suggested the Home Depot approach and it worked very well. Made a 30 minute job out of a long day trying to put holes in tight places.

Ran the AP leads through the pitot holes and then everything else is going through 3/4 PVC (light) hung with plastic joist hangers. The hangers are perfect, weigh nothing and are cheap.

Hope this helps someone else. The lists are great sources for instant advice.

Bill S 7a finishing
only the wings left

Bill
Can you post more info re the "plastic joist hangers"? I can't find anything on the internet that is close to the things in the photo.
John

Mike
Thanks but all I get is "The product you are trying to view is not currently available in the store you are browsing, please try a different store." with that link. If I put in "plastic joist hangers" as the keyword I get completely different metal things.

They (Home Depot) ask for an "SKU". Is there an SKU of the thing you are pointing to with that link?
Thanks
John

Picture is worth what :)

How about this at the local Home Depot. $2.95 for a package of 5 but the help could not find them so be sure to look hard. #301299

Hope this helps. Also found PVC for .89 for 10 foot and 4.95 for a 3/4 10 foot stick. Naturally I bought the 4.95 stuff because airplane stuff is supposed to be expensive ;-)

Bill S
7a only some of the wings left ;-)

Mike
Thanks but all I get is "The product you are trying to view is not currently available in the store you are browsing, please try a different store." with that link. If I put in "plastic joist hangers" as the keyword I get completely different metal things.

They (Home Depot) ask for an "SKU". Is there an SKU of the thing you are pointing to with that link?
Thanks
John

This is from the site.

" Oatey No. 33914, 1/2 In., Full, Pack of 6 Pipe Clamp

Model 33914"

Are you just clicking the link in my post, or you going to some site inside Home Depot to search??

It does say that the item is not sold online.

The ones in the post just above are almost identical.

Bill
Picture is indeed worth etc.
Thanks. I have located them. Very impressive. I'm sure you've considered this - are they robust enough to withstand vibration over many hours and not crack? I guess time will tell but they look to be an excellent way of running conduit.

Mike

First I clicked your link and got the result above. Then searched Home depot.
I omitted to tell you I am 12,000nm away from US so problem probably to do with me being in another continent. Bill's picture tells all so I can now look for them over here.

Thanks to both of you
John
Melbourne
Australia

Last edited:
Rick
More good ideas.
Getting to the conduit clamps in the future if they fail would be an interesting problem. Yours looks a pretty solid way to secure the conduit.
John

just thought about the wing root....

The other thing to consider is where the wires AND the PITOT TUBING will emerge at the wing root. I only realized this problem after everything was complete, the wings were half installed and I had to work out how to connect everything up. The result was not ideal - further aft is better as it is easier to access when the wing root fairings are off, and is away from the aileron pushrod.

Chris

Back