What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Conduit and Abrasion

aturner

Well Known Member
Well, this is one of those "making decisions when working late at night and then waking up the next morning and feeling bad about it" situations. I ran Van's 3/4" conduit under the baggage compartment of my -10, and then riveted floors into place. I fabricated aluminum supports which attach to the floor ribs as shown below. Due to the corrugations, you have to open up the hole to the point that the conduit rattles around in there. So I put some RTV on the conduit and support, and buttoned everything up. Almost immediately had visions of the support wearing a hole in the conduit and shorting out the battery main feed. On the right side I did it right, with snap bushings or grommet protecting conduit from aluminum. Question is, is the left side setup shown below a short waiting to happen? How resistant is this conduit to abrasion? The aluminum support is 0.32, well polished.

DSCN4496.jpg

Just a bit of guess work here, but I think the RTV will keep things in check.

I did the same thing in a couple places where I could not get a snap bushing, but I used shoe goo-----not a lot of difference.

Good luck.

Should be fine if you used plenty of RTV to prevent movement. Next time use some Grommet strip in the holes that are to large for bushings.

molded-grommet-strips.jpg

Back