What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

"Conditioning" a PC680 battery

Jimzim

Well Known Member
Hello all,
I've been using the Odessey PC680 battery since my RV 7 first flew in 2015. The first battery lasted over 6 years. The one I purchased in early 2023 doesn't seem to want to hold a charge as well as the other did. I use the dedicated Odessey charger exclusively, and recently I have had to hook up the charger to give the battery a quick 30 minute or so boost, before it will start my Lycoming. When charging, I have noticed that the status lights on the charger show a charge level of 40%, then increasing up to 80%. At that point, the lights on the charger indicate that the charger has gone into "conditioning" mode.

My question is, what exactly is going on during "conditioning." I have not yet kept the charger hooked up long enough to complete the "conditioning" process, as I have wanted to go fly instead!
Has anyone had experience with this mode and has it resulted in any noticeable improvement in battery performance?

After searching here and also on the Odessey website, I have not been able to discern what is actually taking place during the "conditioning" mode.
I hate to think that this battery was only good for less than two years. And yes, the alternator output and amp load reading on my Skyview all appear normal and healthy (14.5 volts and 1 amp after a few minutes of flight) so I'm pretty certain that the battery is suspect. Will "conditioning" it be helpful?
Any input appreciated.

Thanks, Jim

The link above describes the conditioning. I have an EI/EFI electrically dependent RV14. Therefore, I consider this conditioning procedure an essential part of my annual Condition Inspection. I test the batteries for voltage and CCA before and after the procedure, it does help significantly. Basically you are removing sulfates from the plates.
Thanks Marvin, I'll run the battery thru full conditioning and see if that helps.
Jim

The link above describes the conditioning. I have an EI/EFI electrically dependent RV14. Therefore, I consider this conditioning procedure an essential part of my annual Condition Inspection. I test the batteries for voltage and CCA before and after the procedure, it does help significantly. Basically you are removing sulfates from the plates.
Similar to Marvin, I test my battery at every CI. I do a CCA test and voltage test. Rarely do I put it on the charger unless I have been doing a bunch of short flights (young eagles), if I needed to power the bus with the battery for some maintenance or after my CI test. Equates to 5 or 6 times a year and it never sits. On the battery for more than 24 hours.

I mistaking replaced what I thought was a weak battery that turned out to be a pitted solenoid. So now I have a 7 year old spare in the hangar gathering dust and a 3 year old battery in the plane. The new battery was drained down to nothing because I left the master on one day. I did do the reconditioning procedure and it still holds a great charge. During the recharge I used the 7 year old battery for 3 weeks and it cranked like new.

I accidently left the master on for several weeks. voltage went down to 5.0 V which is the supply voltage for the lightspeed ignition. did the reconditioning thing and the 5 year old pc680 cranks like new even when cold. charges just fine and holds the voltage well. i guess many of these batteries would serve their owners much longer if recondition procedures would be tried more often.

Last edited:
Back