What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Condition of parts as received

CaptPausert

I just finished inventorying my Empennage kit and although most pieces look good a few ribs and one skin have noticeable scratches that I can catch my nail on and a couple are not bent well. How bad is bad enough that I should contact Vans about? Or should I just polish out the scratches and straighten the parts where necessary?

52560561724_d085674c2e_n.jpg

52560561714_5f689d523a_n.jpg

Deep scratches I would blend out. You are going to be doing a lot of flange straightening as the fluting process like to impart a bend. Your going to get really good at straightening flanges as well as deburring, scuffing, drilling, countersinking, etc. You get the picture.

You'll be doing a lot worse than that yourself pretty soon - and you'll get very good at fixing it. These are not bad parts, keep going.

Ok thanks guys. Still a little new to this and wanted to make sure. got the first few steps done last night and I am going to start making the attach brackets when my bench sander shows today

Back