What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

condition inspection

It varies depending on how the airplanes Oplims are written, but typically ends up being something along the lines of:

I certify this aircraft has been inspected on (date) in accordance with the scope and detail of 14 CFR 43 appendix D, and has been found to be in a condition for safe operation.

the air frame part has be answered but the engine log book has not!!
do I just put the hr. and comp. readings and any other work done ?

One possibility....

the air frame part has be answered but the engine log book has not!!
do I just put the hr. and comp. readings and any other work done ?

Since Appendix D also covers the engine stuff...

(1) Engine section?for visual evidence of excessive oil, fuel, or hydraulic leaks, and sources of such leaks.

(2) Studs and nuts?for improper torquing and obvious defects.

(3) Internal engine?for cylinder compression and for metal particles or foreign matter on screens and sump drain plugs. If there is weak cylinder compression, for improper internal condition and improper internal tolerances.

(4) Engine mount?for cracks, looseness of mounting, and looseness of engine to mount.

(5) Flexible vibration dampeners?for poor condition and deterioration.

(6) Engine controls?for defects, improper travel, and improper safetying.

(7) Lines, hoses, and clamps?for leaks, improper condition and looseness.

(8) Exhaust stacks?for cracks, defects, and improper attachment.

(9) Accessories?for apparent defects in security of mounting.

(10) All systems?for improper installation, poor general condition, defects, and insecure attachment.

...why not just write --

I certify this engine has been inspected on (date) in accordance with the scope and detail of 14 CFR 43 appendix D, and has been found to be in a condition for safe operation.

Engine Book

The fact of the matter (as I understand it) is that you don't even need to keep an engine book if you don't want to.....

But I do, and I generally write the same stuff I do in a certified engine logbook - except that I don't put a formal inspection statement in there, as it isn't required for an experimental.

Paul

That's right!

Gil's answer is the correct response. Use the same wording. Just change the word "aircraft" to "engine".

Back