What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Concerned about tank end ribs

Lemmingman

Well Known Member
My fluting on the end ribs of my right fuel tank have created some gaps between the flange and the skin that concern me. I might be making a mountain out of a mole hill, but these gaps make me wonder if I have too much space for ProSeal to properly fill.

Take a look and let me know what you think.

100_0526.JPG

100_0528.JPG

Gil,
I'm no expert but I would be very worried about leaks from the fluting gaps. Seems like it would take much too much proseal to fill the gap. I'd call Van's before proceeding. Double check Van's instructions about buttering the flanges and read some of Rick Galatti's (sp?) posts about proseal. I didn't flute the end ribs on the one set I built.

IMG_0672.JPG

Butter up those end rib flanges and put a nice fillet on the inside and the sealant should be able to stop any leaks.

Your Fluting Pliers?

Your Fluting Pliers... uh... make huge gaps.:eek:

The ones I have keep the pinches much cleaner and tighter, you could do more crimps closer and sharper with better pliers. Get a hold of Avery, Cleaveland, or Brown tools, any one of them could better advise you.:)

Flutes

Look about the same as mine. As previous posters said put lots of proseal on the faying surfaces, and make a nice round fillet on the inside. Also put an overlap fillet on the outside. Search the forums under proseal. Rick Galati (Rick6a) has written some good advice and references workmanship standards.

If you flute between each set of rivets than it takes much smaller flutes to make the part conform. I would flatten those large ones out and make smaller ones at the additional locations as required. Then "butter" both rib and skin before assy, then add a nice fat fillet on the inside all the way around.

If you flute between each set of rivets than it takes much smaller flutes to make the part conform. I would flatten those large ones out and make smaller ones at the additional locations as required. Then "butter" both rib and skin before assy, then add a nice fat fillet on the inside all the way around.

Do this. You'll be happy.

nah

those will be fine with enough proseal. While my flutes weren't that large, most of my proseal on the end ribs were inside... in a fillet seal. If it doesn't get past the fillet seal, it won't matter how much proseal is in your flutes.

You'll be fine, take a look at the gap that needs to be sealed in the corners where the end ribs meet the baffle. Vans tells us to put a generous glob there to prevent leaks.

I didnt flute my end ribs but you should be fine. You would be suprised what proseal covers (and does it well!) at my day job.

Thanks for all the answers. I've decided that since I've fluted and flattened, fluted and flattened about 4 times per set that I'm going to start from scratch. I've got two sets on order and will try the new ones.

I'm also going to look into other fluting tools. I have two today, one makes a wide rounded flute and the other makes a very narrow flute, but neither seems to be very effective with metal this thick. I had no problems at all with the inner ribs.

Back