What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Compressor Questions

Stockmanreef

Well Known Member
I bought a stationary 60 gallon compressor and I have a couple of questions (hopefully not too stupid).

1. The compressor came on a pallet. Can I keep it on the pallet or should I screw it into the cement. I was watching an installation video where they screwed it to the floor. Not necessarily a problem, but I have to make sure that I put in the correct place.

2. The video suggested 18" from the wall, which I really don't want to do. I was going to put it a few inches from the walls in a corner.

3. Thoughts on auto water purge systems?

4. I assume that I should put in two regulators. One for squeezer and one for drill, paint, and rivet guns.

5. What is a good/reasonable filter/regulator/lubricator?

Thanks for the help.

Ken

I've had 2 uprights that came bolted to a pallet base. Ran both that way in corners and they were still going when I left. Seems to work fine.

I left my 80gal Husky on the pallet next to a wall (the side of the pallet was nearly touching the wall)for long time. I never had any problems.
I finally moved it outside and mounted it to a concrete pad and added an auto-purge.

The purge works great. It's timed to purge every day at noon. No complaints from the neighbors yet.

I used the RapidAir kit to run my lines to my regulators. I have two but rarely have anything connected to both.

1. I screwed mine (similar to yours) to a plywood pad, which rests on a rubber work-out pad. It doesn't walk around now but can wriggle if it needs to.

2. Mine is adjacent to a wall in the corner. No problems.

3. Good idea. I don't have one and drain it about weekly, more often in hard use. It's a pain, getting under there and doing that.

4. I use a manifold with two regulators, one set to about 19 psi and the other to about 85 or 90 psi. I got different colored lines. This works very well and I use both daily.

5. I bought a pair of cheap Harbor Freight regulators. A year into the project, they're good. The manifold has a Harbor Freight filter/water trap just upstream of the regulators.

Dave

I bought a stationary 60 gallon compressor and I have a couple of questions (hopefully not too stupid).

1. The compressor came on a pallet. Can I keep it on the pallet or should I screw it into the cement. I was watching an installation video where they screwed it to the floor. Not necessarily a problem, but I have to make sure that I put in the correct place.

2. The video suggested 18" from the wall, which I really don't want to do. I was going to put it a few inches from the walls in a corner.

3. Thoughts on auto water purge systems?

4. I assume that I should put in two regulators. One for squeezer and one for drill, paint, and rivet guns.

5. What is a good/reasonable filter/regulator/lubricator?

Thanks for the help.

Ken

I have the same size compressor, on my floor it would walk around when running. I pulled mine off the pallet and anchored it to the floor with some 3/4inch rubber pads in between the feet and the floor.

The compressor is just slightly less than 18 inches from one wall and 10 inches from the other wall, I have plenty of access and can get around it to inspect it.

I looked at auto purge systems and the nice ones were more than I wanted to spend and the cheap one at Harbor freight gets bad reviews for bursting.

Someone on VAF recommended that I replace the purge valve with a street L, then add enough pipe to come out from under the tank and cap it with a valve. This is one of the best things I did! I can walk over and vent the tank by opening the valve with my foot, no more bending down and fumbling around underneath.

I have two regulators, I wouldn't say it's critical but it has been handy when I need to use the pneumatic squeezer and the rivet gun on the same piece.

I found this regulator/oiler, it was a one of the better deals at the time.

Back