What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Compressor on sale

skelrad

Well Known Member
Friend
While I'm not in a position yet to start my build, I'm slowly tooling up so that when the finances are right I can jump right in. I was walking through Menards today and saw that they have one of their vertical compressors on sale through the weekend. I've never heard of the brand though, so hoping someone can chime in and let me know if it's a decent brand and price. It's a 60 gallon Sanford (I'm fairly certain that was the brand, but like I said, I had never heard of it before so I forgot the name by the time I got home). It's a cast iron, oil lubed compressor. I believe the specs showed somewhere around 13.5 cfm at 40 psi and 11.5 at 90 psi. It's on sale and also has a $40 mail in rebate to bring the price to $389.

Good deal or not? It seems pretty well priced, but for all I know the brand is known for lasting 2 months before crumbling into a big pile of dust.

On a side note - I'm on the fence about whether I should get a stationary model like this, or if I should get a smaller model with less impressive ratings but that is on wheels so I can move it around to be used for other things (need to build a deck next year for my wife as pre-payment for starting an RV). I'd kind of like the ability to move the compressor around, but at the same time I'd like to be able to paint the plane myself, and I know the bigger compressor is helpful for that. So, get a smaller movable compressor or the stationary compressor with a ridiculous length of hose to reach out back behind the house for the deck build. Thoughts?

Glad you're getting the 60 gallon model

I was over at a builders shop recently and his 26 gallon compressor was running constantly; hard to talk over all the noise. (smile)

I'am at the same point you are. I recently told the "Admiral" I was thinking about building an airplane. Where!? she said. The garage honey.

Googled Sanford; can't find anything. BUT, Home Depot has the Husky Compressor, 60 gallon model the same price you indicated. I bought one a week ago. No wheels needed. It comes on a small wooden pallet and I just left it on that pallet and shoved it in the corner of our Garage (er..shop)

It does require 220V and my buddy who is an electrician came over and wired a plug for me. Not a big deal. Buy something known from a big box store for warranty purposes.

S-L-O-W-Y I am collecting tools and equipment ($) as each new box arrives I stuff it in the garage. I guess I can't complain about her fabulous shoe collection anymore.

AltonD is correct, hose is cheap. Get a quality compressor.

For what it's worth, I bought that same Sanford compressor from Menard's on sale a few years ago before starting my build, on sale for about the same price. It's been trouble-free through regular use running all my airplane tools, plus framing/roofing/finishing nailers. I appreciate the large tank, since I can do quite a bit of drilling before it kicks on to refill. I have it inside the shop and it's loud, but tolerable.

I dont know if you have a Home Depot or Lowes around you but they both have a 60 gallon with 3.2HP compressor for $399.00 regular price. With the holidays comming up it may even go on sale. Homedepot is a Husky Brand and Lowes Is Kobalt, they are identical tho. I was fortunate enough to find a refurbished unit at a home depot for 299.00 It has been trouble free since I got it. They take forever to fill completely but they never run out of air. Also the noise is quite tollerable.
-david

Just don't go oil-less - they are loud, fast, and wear out terribly quickly. Any compressor with an oiled crankcase will be better than one without.

(experience...)

Just don't go oil-less - they are loud, fast, and wear out terribly quickly. Any compressor with an oiled crankcase will be better than one without.

(experience...)

No doubt oiled compressors are better, but my 15 year old Craftsman oilless compressor works just fine after building the -6, painting the -6, running a nailer to build a 500+ foot wooden fence, and a hundred other projects over the years.

And it is as loud as the hammers of heck...

Cheap is not bad ( in this case )

I bought one with those same basic spec's in 1992. Cast Iron single stage pump, 5 HP motor. I have painted several cars, work on cars, built an airplane, change oil once every year or so, whether it needs it or not. Never had a single problem. If it ever wears out, I'll buy another just like it.

John Bender

Back