What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Compressing Door Struts for installation

Phil

Well Known Member
Anyone found a good way to compress them to get them installed??? Mine are way too hard for me to compress by hand.

Phil

I just opened the door enough for them to fit.

I put the inboard end in its bracket, opened the door and held it with one hand, and got the strut in the door bracket with the other hand.

A third hand would help, as would a correct length broom stick.

I just received a phone call from Dave Syverton....

"Turn your door brackets around dummy!!!!"

Problem solved. :(:( :D

Look Mom.... No broomsticks!

photo-1.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone found a good way to compress them to get them installed??? Mine are way too hard for me to compress by hand.

haha, I hate to admit this but will do it anyways. I actually called Vans and asked them this very thing. Probably the call I hated to make the most and I've made some bone head calls before. I didnt have my brackets turned around backwards or anything I was just trying to compress the thing for the heck of it before I installed it and I pushed really hard and it wouldnt budge. Moral of the story is there is REAL power in levers. Thanks physics! Duh! :eek:

I think I'm going to have to start a thread related to calls into Vans that had a duh moment for others... to make me feel better :)

Try the forums for your duh moments

As strange as it sounds, you might have better luck asking questions here and on the Matronics list. In my experience, Vans phone support is uneven at best and slow. OTOH, you can't take anything said on the Web as gospel - but it's faster, unfettered by litigation fears, and often more useful.

'duh' moments are just part of the process.

Bill "flying the best kit plane of all time" Watson

I think I'm going to have to start a thread related to calls into Vans that had a duh moment for others... to make me feel better :)

Back