What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Compatable - recommended RV-10 Props

Drippy

Well Known Member
Anyone have an advice about purchasing a Hartzell HC E2YR 2RBSF prop off a Aztec to go on my RV10. I agreed to purchase an IO540 C4D5 that is coming off an Aztec and they gentleman offered to through the prop in at a fair price.

It is 78" long and I know the HC C2YR 1BFP offered through Van's is 80" repairable to 78".

Anyone else though about going this route?

Thanks

Mike
RV10 40644
Vermont

Every prop on a turbine single is a feathering prop too. For an engine fire, or any scenario where attempting to restart is not a good idea, feathering would dramatically extend glide. The fact that it will feather, wouldn't stop me from buying it.

If you have a good starter, could feather it on shut down occasionally and see if you can convince people it's a turbine ;)

I don't know this prop specifically, but if it is a feathering unit, then it probably has counterweighted blades. Counterweights are used on aerobatic props and multis that need to feather, but will do nothing for a -10 but add dead weight to the nose.

That would be a big downside in my eyes.

If you have a good starter, could feather it on shut down occasionally and see if you can convince people it's a turbine ;)

That would be cool right up to the point some line guy filling your tanks looks at the prop, goes "hey this is a turbine", and fills your plane with Jet A. :eek:

First off thanks for the comments and info!

It is a feathering prop, according to hartzell the units weights 60lbs. Any idea what the standard 3 blade C2YR prop sold through Vans weights?

What do you guys think would I need to use the original Aztec governor or can I use the one I purchased with my finish kit from Van's?

It would also be cool up to the point the prop gets pulled into feather by accident. Typically these use a quadrant with a stop gate to prevent this.

The pitch stops probably can be easily modified by the prop shop to eliminate the feathering feature (which will make the prop a functional equivelent of the aerobatic version). This uses the "backwards" governor (increase pressure to decrease pitch), so the aztec version could likely be used.

Again, this leaves you with a functional, but heavy and oddball configuration.

IMHO, That prop and governor better be free to make any sense over a new BAF from Van.

Back