What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Compass

Cadstat

Well Known Member
My vertical card compass has always been off 30 degrees since I bought the plane. I tried the adjustment screws on the front without any luck. Now my DG bug doesn't work. Is there any connection between the compass and the DG?

My vertical card compass has always been off 30 degrees since I bought the plane. I tried the adjustment screws on the front without any luck. Now my DG bug doesn't work. Is there any connection between the compass and the DG?

No connection.

Don't tell anyone but the compass is just there for historical purposes. Use the line on the GPS, GPS track and/or roads and sun fixes.

Any EFIS with a magnetometer.

Our -10 only has the Dynon magnetometer and that is acceptable...even flying IFR.

We had a vertical card in our -6A and it went TU....supposedly because of the proximity to the Garmin 496.

Best,

SIRS Navigator

The SIRS Navigator is a very small TSO'd four magnet compass that has earned my trust. It will keep you pointed in the right direction if on top at night if ever the electrons quit flowing to all the other stuff. :)

Damage

I cannot locate the article, but I recall one written in the late 90s by Avionics West concerning these compasses. The gist of the matter is that they can be seriously (and permanently) screwed up by using a ferrous screwdriver to do the adjustment on the screws.

You should perhaps contact the company for more info... perhaps it can be repaired.

You did not mention where it is installed in the aircraft. If you remove it and it suddenly is more accurate, then it is an installation issue (too close to ferrous material).

Don

Back